From: Geoffrey S. Mendelson on
N_Cook wrote:
> How about TV coax connector (in the UK that is)

Great, thanks.

> http://www.dastv.co.uk/images/pht/th_s/3407_DAS0982.jpg
> What do Americans call the one shown in the above pic?
> and I will add to my
> http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/tool_terms.htm
> UK / USA Tool Terminology Translator

99% of people in the US would not call them anything, they have not, and
will never see them.

The few people that have are usually SWL's (some Grundig radios used them),
people who bought or sold PAL TV sets and VCRs (which is how they got the name
"PAL connectors".)

RadioShack calls the adapter a "European TV adapter", but says it connects
an F connector to a PAL-type antenna jack.

Universal Radio calls them "PAL", as in PAL M (male) or PAL F. to F
female adaptor.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order
From: N_Cook on
Geoffrey S. Mendelson <gsm(a)mendelson.com> wrote in message
> N_Cook wrote:
> > How about TV coax connector (in the UK that is)
>
> Great, thanks.
>
> > http://www.dastv.co.uk/images/pht/th_s/3407_DAS0982.jpg
> > What do Americans call the one shown in the above pic?
> > and I will add to my
> > http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/tool_terms.htm
> > UK / USA Tool Terminology Translator
>
> 99% of people in the US would not call them anything, they have not, and
> will never see them.
>
> The few people that have are usually SWL's (some Grundig radios used
them),
> people who bought or sold PAL TV sets and VCRs (which is how they got the
name
> "PAL connectors".)
>
> RadioShack calls the adapter a "European TV adapter", but says it connects
> an F connector to a PAL-type antenna jack.
>
> Universal Radio calls them "PAL", as in PAL M (male) or PAL F. to F
> female adaptor.
>
> Geoff.
> --
> Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
> To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must
order
> dessert. As part of the socialized health plan, you are forbidden to eat
it. :-)

I'm not old enough to have called them or heard them being called Belling
Lee, only vaguely aware of the term. Even the UK "Bible", RS catalogue ,
cops out and calls them "standard plugs and sockets " and "aluminium plug"
for the ubiquitous one I URL'd pic of before , how ridiculous is that?

From: N_Cook on
Geoffrey S. Mendelson <gsm(a)mendelson.com> wrote in message
> N_Cook wrote:
> > How about TV coax connector (in the UK that is)
>
> Great, thanks.
>
> > http://www.dastv.co.uk/images/pht/th_s/3407_DAS0982.jpg
> > What do Americans call the one shown in the above pic?
> > and I will add to my
> > http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/tool_terms.htm
> > UK / USA Tool Terminology Translator
>
> 99% of people in the US would not call them anything, they have not, and
> will never see them.
>
> The few people that have are usually SWL's (some Grundig radios used
them),
> people who bought or sold PAL TV sets and VCRs (which is how they got the
name
> "PAL connectors".)
>
> RadioShack calls the adapter a "European TV adapter", but says it connects
> an F connector to a PAL-type antenna jack.
>
> Universal Radio calls them "PAL", as in PAL M (male) or PAL F. to F
> female adaptor.
>
> Geoff.
> --
> Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
> To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must
order
> dessert. As part of the socialized health plan, you are forbidden to eat
it. :-)

a masterclass on them
http://www.megalithia.com/elect/bellinglee/index.html

From: Arfa Daily on

"N_Cook" <diverse(a)tcp.co.uk> wrote in message
> Geoffrey S. Mendelson <gsm(a)mendelson.com> wrote in message
>> N_Cook wrote:
>> > How about TV coax connector (in the UK that is)
>>
>> Great, thanks.
>>
>> > http://www.dastv.co.uk/images/pht/th_s/3407_DAS0982.jpg
>> > What do Americans call the one shown in the above pic?
>> > and I will add to my
>> > http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/tool_terms.htm
>> > UK / USA Tool Terminology Translator
>>
>> 99% of people in the US would not call them anything, they have not, and
>> will never see them.
>>
>> The few people that have are usually SWL's (some Grundig radios used
> them),
>> people who bought or sold PAL TV sets and VCRs (which is how they got
>> the
> name
>> "PAL connectors".)
>>
>> RadioShack calls the adapter a "European TV adapter", but says it
>> connects
>> an F connector to a PAL-type antenna jack.
>>
>> Universal Radio calls them "PAL", as in PAL M (male) or PAL F. to F
>> female adaptor.
>>
>> Geoff.
>> --
>> Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
>> To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must
> order
>> dessert. As part of the socialized health plan, you are forbidden to eat
> it. :-)
>

> a masterclass on them
> http://www.megalithia.com/elect/bellinglee/index.html

That's pretty much how I was taught to do them by the 'old boy' that every
workshop used to have back then. Sid, ours was called ...

When not soldering the centre pin on those sorts of jobs where you just
wanted to be out of the house before the fleas bit you to death or you
caught something, we used to either bend the centre conductor, as the guy in
that tutorial says, but a double 'S' shaped bend rather than a single, or
else we used to 'crimp' the pin to the centre conductor where it emerged
from the nylon bit, using a blunt pair of sidecutters.

Arfa

From: N_Cook on
Arfa Daily <arfa.daily(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "N_Cook" <diverse(a)tcp.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Geoffrey S. Mendelson <gsm(a)mendelson.com> wrote in message

> That's pretty much how I was taught to do them by the 'old boy' that every
> workshop used to have back then. Sid, ours was called ...
>
> When not soldering the centre pin on those sorts of jobs where you just
> wanted to be out of the house before the fleas bit you to death or you
> caught something, we used to either bend the centre conductor, as the guy
in
> that tutorial says, but a double 'S' shaped bend rather than a single, or
> else we used to 'crimp' the pin to the centre conductor where it emerged
> from the nylon bit, using a blunt pair of sidecutters.
>
> Arfa

I assume RS cannot use a "trade name" for generic (Hoover for vacuum cleaner
etc) even if defunct company name

Now all I need is a masterclass on fitting BNC connectors