From: Adrian Tuddenham on
Geoffrey S. Mendelson <gsm(a)mendelson.com> wrote:

> What do you call a Belling-Lee connector?

Belling-Lee coax plug/socket.

I might be able to find the manufacturer's original part number for you
if I searched through the back-issues of Wireless World; but if it is
that difficult to find, I don't suppose anyone will recognise it.

The characteristic impedance of those connectors was 75 ohms. The last
batch I had from R.S. Components, about two years ago, had sub-standard
insulation and were mechanically unsound (they fell apart at about the
fifth time of use). Needless to say, they hadn't been made by Belling &
Lee.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
From: Dave Plowman (News) on
In article <slrni4ov9q.8oe.gsm(a)cable.mendelson.com>,
Geoffrey S. Mendelson <gsm(a)mendelson.com> wrote:
> hat do you call a Belling-Lee connector?

> I know in the US they call them PAL connectors because PAL TVs sold by
> grey market importers in the 1980s used them.

Older ones will call them a Belling-Lee, strangely enough. But they are
pretty universal in the UK for all terrestrial TV and FM radio aerials,
and have been since the outset. Way before PAL was thought of.

--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder *

Dave Plowman dave(a)davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
From: Mike Tomlinson on
In article <slrni4ov9q.8oe.gsm(a)cable.mendelson.com>, Geoffrey S.
Mendelson <gsm(a)mendelson.com> writes

>What do you call a Belling-Lee connector?

usually "coax plug" or "TV aerial plug".

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

From: Mike Tomlinson on
In article <513c911625dave(a)davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman (News)
<dave(a)davenoise.co.uk> writes

>Older ones will call them a Belling-Lee, strangely enough. But they are
>pretty universal in the UK for all terrestrial TV and FM radio aerials,
>and have been since the outset. Way before PAL was thought of.

Also used in Spain, if that's of interest.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

From: Ian Jackson on
In message <1jm7f5y.11544j0xo7lzgN%adrian(a)poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>,
Adrian Tuddenham <adrian(a)poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> writes
>Geoffrey S. Mendelson <gsm(a)mendelson.com> wrote:
>
>> What do you call a Belling-Lee connector?
>
>Belling-Lee coax plug/socket.
>
>I might be able to find the manufacturer's original part number for you
>if I searched through the back-issues of Wireless World; but if it is
>that difficult to find, I don't suppose anyone will recognise it.
>
>The characteristic impedance of those connectors was 75 ohms. The last
>batch I had from R.S. Components, about two years ago, had sub-standard
>insulation and were mechanically unsound (they fell apart at about the
>fifth time of use). Needless to say, they hadn't been made by Belling &
>Lee.

Interestingly, Wikipedia says:
"The IEC-169-2 connector is recognised as a source of signal distortion
and has become a particular concern with digital signal reception,
specifically UHF HDTV."

I recall that my own measurements (in the 1960s) indicated that a
genuine B&L connector was actually a pretty good match at UHF TV
frequencies (well, up to 500MHz or so) - certainly not enough to give me
any concerns that the whole of the TV industry had made a bad choice of
connector.
--
Ian