From: Jason Huang on
Hi,

I just installed a new Windows 2008 Server( 2 CPU X Quad Cores), and I found
it's a 64-bit operation system.
We have SQL 2000 (32 bit) running on the Win2008 Server temporarily, but I'm
thinking replacing the SQL 2000(32 bit) with the new SQL Server 2008(64
bit).
However, most of our clients are using the MS Access 2003 (32 bit) to
connect to our database server.
I'm thinking will the MS Access 2003 be able to connect to the SQL Server
2008 (64 bit) at all?
Another thinking is will the 64 bit SQL Server 2008 + Win2008 be a good
combination which highly promote the DB performance?
Thanks for help.

Jason

From: Lutz Uhlmann on
Am 15.01.2010 08:49, schrieb Jason Huang:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed a new Windows 2008 Server( 2 CPU X Quad Cores), and I found
> it's a 64-bit operation system.
> We have SQL 2000 (32 bit) running on the Win2008 Server temporarily, but I'm
> thinking replacing the SQL 2000(32 bit) with the new SQL Server 2008(64
> bit).
> However, most of our clients are using the MS Access 2003 (32 bit) to
> connect to our database server.
> I'm thinking will the MS Access 2003 be able to connect to the SQL Server
> 2008 (64 bit) at all?

Yes! Your client does not care about 32bit/64bit on the server!

> Another thinking is will the 64 bit SQL Server 2008 + Win2008 be a good
> combination which highly promote the DB performance?

It depends on your hardware ...
- processor (sounds good) but it depends on the SQL-Server-Edition if it
uses 1 or 2 CPUs. Definitely all cores on a cpu could be used.
- RAM on 64bit you have no real OS-limits for RAM, but again the
SQL-Server-Edition can limit the usable RAM
- Harddisk - amount, performance, RAID or not

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/editions-compare.aspx