From: Götz Reinicke - IT-Koordinator on
Gary Peck schrieb:
> If I have read the documentation correctly, it looks like you can not
> have a fail over LDAP server defined in the smb.conf file for the passdb
> backend. It looks like this feature was taken away in an earlier
> release. Is this correct? If not could somebody steer me in the right
> direction.

Hi,

I came across an answer from the "Samba-3 by Example" Book
www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf:

Page 244, figure 6.3:

The addition of a failover LDAP server can simply be done by adding
a second entry for the failover server to the single ldapsam entry, as
shown here (note the particular use of the double quotes):
passdb backend = ldapsam:"ldap://master.abmas.biz \
ldap://slave.abmas.biz"

From the man smb.conf: search for passdb backend = ldapsam:"ldap
(samba-3.0.33-3.15.el5_4.1, Red Hat EL 5.x)

Multiple servers may also be specified in double-quotes. Whether
multiple servers are supported or not and the exact syntax depends on
the LDAP library you use.

If this feature is taken away in other distris or releases I can't say,
but why should it?

Regards,

Götz
--
Götz Reinicke
IT-Koordinator

Tel. +49 7141 969 420
Fax +49 7141 969 55 420
E-Mail goetz.reinicke(a)filmakademie.de

Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH
Akademiehof 10
71638 Ludwigsburg
www.filmakademie.de

Eintragung Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 205016
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. Claudia Hübner
Staatsrätin für Demographischen Wandel und für Senioren im Staatsministerium

Geschäftsführer:
Prof. Thomas Schadt
Did you put your entries in double quotes as previously mentioned by Götz?
See
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Replicated_Failover_Domain_Controller_and_file_server_using_LDAP

Dale

On 03/11/2010 2:21 PM, Gary Peck wrote:
> Looks like LDAP fail over was removed for some reason in Samba
> 3.0.23. Here is the warning message I get when I have multiple
> servers specified:
>
> WARNING: Your 'passdb backend' configuration includes multiple
> backends. This
> is deprecated since Samba 3.0.23. Please check WHATSNEW.txt or the
> section 'Passdb
> Changes' from the ChangeNotes as part of the Samba HOWTO collection.
> Only the first
> backend (ldapsam:ldap://server1.sample.edu) is used. The rest is
> ignored.
>
> Anybody know why such a useful feature was removed?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary
Yes I did. I have tried all of the options below:
passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://server1.sample.edu \
ldap://server2.sample.edu