From: Tim JA on
The countif formula you provided works for the cells with multiple numbers in
a column... I also need the count for cells containing single numbers. I
probably didn't explain my problem as clearly as I should have... I
appreciate your assistance.

From: Steve Dunn on
If you need to count the occurrence of a specific number, use Ashish's
formula.

If you need to count all the numbers, try this (assumes no spare commas):

=COUNTA($A$1:$A$50)+
SUMPRODUCT(LEN($A$1:$A$50)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE($A$1:$A$50,",","")))

From: Tim JA on
The formula you provided works for cells containing a single number. How can
I get it to include a specific number in cells with multiple numbers as well?
For example, if I wanted occurrences for the number 2... there's a cell with
just that number by itself and another cell that has both 2 and 6. In this
case, the formula should come up with 2 occurrences...

From: Gord Dibben on
This UDF can be used to count occurences of numbers or text in a range.

Function CountChar(InRange As Range, Letter As String) As Long
Dim rng As Range
For Each rng In InRange
CountChar = CountChar + Len(rng.text) - _
Len(Application.WorksheetFunction.Substitute(UCase(rng.text) _
, UCase(Letter), ""))
Next rng
End Function

=CountChar(A3:A20,"2")

A cell or range contains 26 or 2,6 or 226 or all of those.

The count will be 4

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

From: Ashish Mathur on
Hi,

That is exactly what my formula does. I have tried it. It will search for
all occurrences of 2 in the range above (whether appearing in the cell alone
or along with some other number). If there is more than 1 number in one
cell, the numbers have to be segregated by commas (as shown in your initial
post)

--
Regards,

Ashish Mathur