From: Joe Schweier on
I have heard that there is some software out there that will let you
emulate

other OSes under linux... eg os2

Will I need to hunt down the OS2 drivers for the network card on this
computer,

I ndon't think it'll be out, or does the "software" emulate the network
card

for OS2??

Thanx

Joe

From: philo on
Joe Schweier wrote:
> I have heard that there is some software out there that will let you
> emulate
>
> other OSes under linux... eg os2
>

> Will I need to hunt down the OS2 drivers for the network card on this
> computer,
>
> I ndon't think it'll be out, or does the "software" emulate the network
> card
>
> for OS2??
>

> Thanx
>

> Joe

You need to install a Virtual Machine
From: Lew Pitcher on
On Nov 9, 8:49 pm, NOSPAM.Joe.Schwe...(a)nickandre.com (Joe Schweier)
wrote:
> I have heard that there is some software out there that will let you
> emulate other OSes under linux... eg os2

Sort of. It depends on what you mean by "emulate".

There is a software package available for Linux (and other x86 Unix
systems) that "emulates" Microsoft Windows. This package (called
"Wine") runs MSWindows programs inside itself (a simplified
description, to be sure) and provides a layer that translates the
program's calls to MSWindows interfaces into calls to Linux
interfaces. With Wine, you do not install a Windows OS, but you still
can run Windows programs. I do not know of any comparable emulator for
OS2.

If this isn't what you mean, then perhaps you are referring to the
various "virtualizers" available. These applications (like QEMU, Xen,
and VMWorks) create a "virtual CPU" with "virtual memory" and "virtual
devices". Within this virtual world, you can then run real operating
systems. With these "virtualizers", you get a system-within-a-system.
It is possible to load the real OS2 into such a virtual environment,
and use it as if it were running on a separate, real computer.

> Will I need to hunt down the OS2 drivers for the network card on this
>  computer, I ndon't think it'll be out, or does the "software" emulate the network
>  card for OS2??

Usually, the "virtualized environment" contains an emulation of a very
common network card, one that any operating system built in the last
15 years would have support for.

HTH
From: Aragorn on
On Monday 09 November 2009 18:49 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying
as Joe Schweier wrote...

> I have heard that there is some software out there that will let you
> emulate other OSes under linux... eg os2

Hmm... I have not heard of an OS/2 ABI for UNIX yet, but it's possible
that it exists. However, as others have said, there is also /Wine/
which is a Windows ABI on top of UNIX - and as such, only sort of an
emulator, since it doesn't emulate a computer but simply supports the
running of Windows-specific applications on top of a UNIX operating
system - and there is DOSemu, which emulates a DOS computer but does
require a DOS operating system - usually this is FreeDOS. In this
case, there is mention of true emulation as DOSemu also emulates the
processor in software.

That said, there is of course such a thing as virtualization, and
various solutions to that end exist. For instance, there are the
virtual machine monitors (like VMWare or VirtualBox, or the Linux
Kernel Virtual Machine, which works with the Qemu virtual machine
monitor), which run inside the host operating system as a process and
which emulate a complete PC - with or without hardware support for the
virtual machine - and then there is Xen, which is a hypervisor that
runs underneath all operating systems on the machine - so there is
no "host", but instead there is a "privileged guest".

Xen supports full virtualization if the machine has hardware
virtualization extensions - most if not all modern machines do - and as
such, it /should/ allow for running an unmodified OS/2 guest inside a
virtual machine alongside of the privileged guest.

> Will I need to hunt down the OS2 drivers for the network card on this
> computer,

Normally not. In the event of Xen, the hypervisor emulates a couple of
very common network adapters (and some other common hardware), which
your OS/2 would then be able to use, provided that OS/2 natively has
drivers for those particular adapter types, of course. The emulated
network adapters Xen presents to a hardware virtual machine are -
according to Wikipedia - a Realtek 8139 and an Intel(?) NE2000.

With regard to virtual machine monitor software like VirtualBox or
VMWare, I'm not sure what hardware they present to the guest operating
system, but perhaps you can consult the homepages of those respective
projects to find out. With regard the Qemu it's the same as with Xen,
since Xen uses the Qemu device manager for hardware-assisted
virtualization.

> I ndon't think it'll be out, or does the "software" emulate the
> network card for OS2??

As explained above. ;-)

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: J.O. Aho on
Joe Schweier wrote:
> I have heard that there is some software out there that will let you
> emulate other OSes under linux... eg os2

There is quite many emulators, vmware, virtualbox to name two and you have
virtualization too like KVM and Xen which may or may not work with OS/2.

> Will I need to hunt down the OS2 drivers for the network card on this
> computer,

The emulator will emulate the networks cards too, so the OS in the emulation
will see some generic network card and you need the driver for that network
card. In KVM you can select different cards to emulate.

You need to check which network card(s) the emulator you select do emulate.

--

//Aho
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2