From: Hemanshu Ahuja on
Hi,

I have over 8 years of IT experience but very new to the Data Center
space and have 4 questions. If someone can answer, I would really
appreciate!
You can consider these questions more of a brainstorming ideas.

1. If a facilities capacity is re-classified as 5 MW lower than it was
previously, what needs to happen here?
2. We need to expand Network capacity at a facility by 2 times but for
only 20% more money, how can we do it?
3. Where to start if you are responsible for tech refresh in existing
facility?
4. During tech refresh planning you find out about a delay in delivery
of networking equipment, how do you deal with that?

Thanks a lot,
Hemanshu
From: John Bell on
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 18:11:50 -0700 (PDT), Hemanshu Ahuja
<hemanshua(a)gmail.com> wrote:

This sounds like course work questions!

>Hi,
>
>I have over 8 years of IT experience but very new to the Data Center
>space and have 4 questions. If someone can answer, I would really
>appreciate!
>You can consider these questions more of a brainstorming ideas.
>
>1. If a facilities capacity is re-classified as 5 MW lower than it was
>previously, what needs to happen here?

You should know what your current energy consumption is and therefore
determine what the impact will be.

>2. We need to expand Network capacity at a facility by 2 times but for
>only 20% more money, how can we do it?

If question 1 is true then you may not have the energy capacity for
the additional hardware. Usually there is a network speciallist who
would help you on this, alternatively you could outsource and get rid
of the problem.

>3. Where to start if you are responsible for tech refresh in existing
>facility?

In the current climate people don't often refresh for the sake of it,
the emphasis is getting the most out of the kit you have. If you have
a requirement to refresh then you need to assess what is getting to
the end of it's lifespan either by age or capacity. A proper asset
inventory is the starting point.

>4. During tech refresh planning you find out about a delay in delivery
>of networking equipment, how do you deal with that?

You should plan in advance and have contingencies in place,
alternatively get a bucket of sand and bury your head in it.

On a data centre level it is uncommon that one person who is not
experienced is in charge, therefore there should be plenty of people
to discuss what should be happening or what happened last time to help
you make plans.

>Thanks a lot,
>Hemanshu

John