From: unix on
This is my setup:

Dirty traffic ---> firewall interface on VLAN100 ---> filtered traffic
to VLAN200 --- server interface on VLAN200.

Both VLANs are on the same physical switch. I seem to recall from my
Cisco training (20 years ago) that there was a potential security risk
putting a "trusted" VLAN on the same switch as a "dirty" VLAN (even if
there is a firewall between the VLANs). Is this still a concern? I
don't want the corporate security guys to beat me up some time down
the road.

Thanks
Ron
From: Rob on
Of course you must make sure that the switch does not do L3 routing
between de VLANs...
From: Scott Lowe on
On 2010-05-21 10:37:18 -0400, unix said:

> This is my setup:
>
> Dirty traffic ---> firewall interface on VLAN100 ---> filtered traffic
> to VLAN200 --- server interface on VLAN200.
>
> Both VLANs are on the same physical switch. I seem to recall from my
> Cisco training (20 years ago) that there was a potential security risk
> putting a "trusted" VLAN on the same switch as a "dirty" VLAN (even if
> there is a firewall between the VLANs). Is this still a concern? I
> don't want the corporate security guys to beat me up some time down
> the road.
>
> Thanks
> Ron

I'm not an expert (yet), but I believe the concern to which you are
referring involved VLAN hopping attacks (jumping from one VLAN to
another VLAN). It's my understanding that most of those concerns have
been mitigated in recent versions of IOS and can be further mitigated
with proper configuration of the VLANs and the switches.

As has also been suggested in this thread, be sure that the switch is
not doing any Layer 3 routing between VLANs.

Hope this helps!

--
Scott Lowe
Author, "Mastering VMware vSphere 4" and "VMware vSphere 4