From: Neil Gould on
Hi all,

One of our sites use classic ASP, and has been running without major
problems. However, some users are getting errors with some ADO functions
after "upgrading" to IE8, and I suspect that the issue is related to ActiveX
not being enabled on their system, as I can generate the same error by
disabling ActiveX or using a browser that doesn't support ActiveX. Anyone
know of a quick-and-not-so-dirty way to test for ActiveX using classic ASP?

Thanks,

--
Neil Gould
Terra Tu Technical Publishing

From: Bob Barrows on
Neil Gould wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> One of our sites use classic ASP, and has been running without major
> problems. However, some users are getting errors with some ADO
> functions after "upgrading" to IE8, and I suspect that the issue is
> related to ActiveX not being enabled on their system, as I can
> generate the same error by disabling ActiveX or using a browser that
> doesn't support ActiveX. Anyone know of a quick-and-not-so-dirty way
> to test for ActiveX using classic ASP?

No, ASP is server-side technology so by definition it can't be used to test
client capabilities.

You will need to use client-side code for this. There is nothing beyond
trying to create an ADO object and trapping the error that occurs.

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
"NO SPAM"

From: Neil Gould on
Bob Barrows wrote:
> Neil Gould wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> One of our sites use classic ASP, and has been running without major
>> problems. However, some users are getting errors with some ADO
>> functions after "upgrading" to IE8, and I suspect that the issue is
>> related to ActiveX not being enabled on their system, as I can
>> generate the same error by disabling ActiveX or using a browser that
>> doesn't support ActiveX. Anyone know of a quick-and-not-so-dirty way
>> to test for ActiveX using classic ASP?
>>
> No, ASP is server-side technology so by definition it can't be used
> to test client capabilities.
>
> You will need to use client-side code for this. There is nothing
> beyond trying to create an ADO object and trapping the error that
> occurs.

Thanks, Bob,

I might have been clearer... your suggestion is what I had in mind. I
realize that ASP is server-side tech, and hoped that there might be a way to
initiate an action via script that would require ActiveX, then trap the
error if it isn't available.

Neil

From: Bob Barrows on
Neil Gould wrote:
> Bob Barrows wrote:
>> Neil Gould wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> One of our sites use classic ASP, and has been running without major
>>> problems. However, some users are getting errors with some ADO
>>> functions after "upgrading" to IE8, and I suspect that the issue is
>>> related to ActiveX not being enabled on their system, as I can
>>> generate the same error by disabling ActiveX or using a browser that
>>> doesn't support ActiveX. Anyone know of a quick-and-not-so-dirty way
>>> to test for ActiveX using classic ASP?
>>>
>> No, ASP is server-side technology so by definition it can't be used
>> to test client capabilities.
>>
>> You will need to use client-side code for this. There is nothing
>> beyond trying to create an ADO object and trapping the error that
>> occurs.
>>
> Thanks, Bob,
>
> I might have been clearer... your suggestion is what I had in mind. I
> realize that ASP is server-side tech, and hoped that there might be a
> way to initiate an action via script that would require ActiveX, then
> trap the error if it isn't available.

I'm not really sure what you are asking. You already have a line of
client-side code that tries to initiate an adodb object don't you? Just trap
the error that is raised by that line of code using try...catch if jscript
or on error resume next if vbscript.

From: Neil Gould on
Bob Barrows wrote:
> Neil Gould wrote:
>> Bob Barrows wrote:

>>> No, ASP is server-side technology so by definition it can't be used
>>> to test client capabilities.
>>>
>>> You will need to use client-side code for this. There is nothing
>>> beyond trying to create an ADO object and trapping the error that
>>> occurs.
>>>
>> Thanks, Bob,
>>
>> I might have been clearer... your suggestion is what I had in mind. I
>> realize that ASP is server-side tech, and hoped that there might be a
>> way to initiate an action via script that would require ActiveX, then
>> trap the error if it isn't available.
>>
> I'm not really sure what you are asking. You already have a line of
> client-side code that tries to initiate an adodb object don't you?
> Just trap the error that is raised by that line of code using
> try...catch if jscript or on error resume next if vbscript.

I'm trying to find a solution that "anticipates" a problem before the client
initiates an action. Put another way, not all of the ado objects seem to
need activex on the client side to run. For example, database operations
work from browsers that don't support activex, but file transfers don't. So
I'm hoping that someone knows which objects do and don't require activex on
the client as a starting point, and ultimately I'd like to be able to
initiate an action via server-side script that requires it so that I can
trap that error.

Thanks,

Neil

 |  Next  |  Last