From: vvf on
Hi Goran,

Thanks for all your valuable input!

> I don't understand why you are having problems
> with img and a, it's rather straightforward,

Indeed, the only problem is when you have a file of the form "x.y.htm" ;
x.y.htm does not work while x.htm works.

vvf

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5104 (20100511) __________

http://www.eset.com

From: Goran on
On May 11, 12:56 pm, "vvf" <v...(a)vvf.com> wrote:
> Hi Goran,
>
> Thanks for all your valuable input!
>
> > I don't understand why you are having problems
> > with img and a, it's rather straightforward,
>
> Indeed, the only problem is when you have a file of the form "x.y.htm" ;
> x.y.htm does not work while x.htm works.

and

otherPage.htm HTML "otherPage.htm"
otherPage.x.htm HTML "otherPage.x.htm"

work here. I would guess you made an error somewhere. Here's the
thing: normally, it should be 100% irrelevant, to the browser, what is
happening with names and stuff, as long as the URL is correct. When
putting stuff into resources, you have fixed "base" url, and that's
res://path-to-exe.exe/. If you use relative URLs, you can simply
specify the name of the resource in your src or href attribute, and
you're done. All your URLs, sen as absolute are like so:

res://path-to-exe.exe/page1.html
res://path-to-exe.exe/page2.html
res://path-to-exe.exe/page3.html
res://path-to-exe.exe/img1.png
res://path-to-exe.exe/img2.png

and you reference them by specifying their name (src="img1.png",
href="page2.html").

It would be hugely amazing that this simple thing (use of relative
URLs in a browser) does not work in any scenario.

Perhaps your interaction with Visual Studio resource editor broke
something? Perhaps you should check your *.rc in a text editor? Or put
stuff in *.rc2, it's there for simple manual editing? (BTW, while
talking to you, I've been modifying my *.rc by hand exactly because I
don't like fighting with VS editor, who stubbornly wants numeric
resource IDs.)

Goran.
From: vvf on

Goran,

/../

> and

> otherPage.x.htm HTML "otherPage.x.htm"
> work here.

Correct. That works for me as well. It seems that it doesn't work if you
have a NUMBER before the first period. :)

For example, while

otherPage.x.htm HTML "otherPage.x.htm"

works,

16.x.htm HTML "otherPage.x.htm"

does not.

However,

16x.htm HTML "otherPage.x.htm" works while 16.htm HTML "otherPage.x.htm"
does not work.

Therefore, I guess it wasn't really that it didn't work w/ more than one
period, it was really the fact that you can't start with <number><period>.

vvf

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5105 (20100511) __________

http://www.eset.com

From: vvf on

I just posted a reply and my message expired "instantly". Therefore, I'll
post again:

What I basically discovered is that if you have something of the form:

<number><period>*.htm, it will not work.

Example:

16.htm HTML "page.htm"
16.x.htm HTML "page.htm"

will not work.

However,

16x.y.htm HTML "page.htm"
16x.htm HTML "page.htm"

will work.

Therefore, I just happened to be in a "special case" situation, didn't
really have anything to do w/ the number of periods.

My definition was of the form:

16.content.htm HTML "16.content.htm".

vvf

database 5105 (20100511) __________

http://www.eset.com

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
A real RAM disk ais a device, and therefore cannot be limited to a single application.
Windows security is based on user tokens, and an application has a user token for the
logged-in user.
joe

On Tue, 11 May 2010 11:51:13 +0300, "vvf" <vvf(a)vvf.com> wrote:

>Hi Joe,
>
>Thanks for your message.
>
>> ****
>> What does any of this have to do with the concept of a RAM disk? Nothing
>> whatsoever, as
>> far as I can tell.
>> ****
>
>Well, I naively thought that I could just start with all the files
>compressed and then uncompress them to a "RAM disk" that would only be
>visible to my application but I thought about it more and that just doesn't
>make any sense...
>
>vvf
>

>__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5103 (20100510) __________

>http://www.eset.com