Prev: No Taskbar
Next: WordMerge
From: Antares 531 on
Is there an easy, straight forward way to check the RAM memory sticks
in my computer? This is an older computer, running Windows XP Pro with
SP3 installed.

The computer has a Gigabyte S-Series motherboard...GA-P35-DS3L with an
Intel P35 Express chipset.

I set it up with an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, E6750l @ 2.66 GHz and two
2.67 GHz, 2.0 GB RAM sticks.

From time to time, when I try to start this computer it will beep a
series of beeps of about one second on and one second off. At this
time the CPU cooling fan will start and stop in sync with the beeps.

I can press the OFF switch and do a restart and this usually clears
the problem for the time being, but it will show up again the next
time I do a cold start. This may indicate a thermally related problem,
but I don't know how to check this out.

Sometimes, during shut-down, I see a very brief error message that
doesn't last long enough for me to read, but it seems to be indicating
a problem with writing or reading some RAM address.

How is the best way to check the RAM out and verify that the problem
is in the RAM sticks, before I go buy replacements?

Thanks, Gordon
From: PaulM on
Try here:
http://www.memtest86.com/

--
Paul's XP and Vista Help
www.paulsxp.com

From: Michael on
http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

From: Bruce Chambers on
Antares 531 wrote:
> Is there an easy, straight forward way to check the RAM memory sticks
> in my computer? This is an older computer, running Windows XP Pro with
> SP3 installed.
>
> The computer has a Gigabyte S-Series motherboard...GA-P35-DS3L with an
> Intel P35 Express chipset.
>
> I set it up with an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, E6750l @ 2.66 GHz and two
> 2.67 GHz, 2.0 GB RAM sticks.
>
> From time to time, when I try to start this computer it will beep a
> series of beeps of about one second on and one second off. At this
> time the CPU cooling fan will start and stop in sync with the beeps.
>
> I can press the OFF switch and do a restart and this usually clears
> the problem for the time being, but it will show up again the next
> time I do a cold start. This may indicate a thermally related problem,
> but I don't know how to check this out.
>
> Sometimes, during shut-down, I see a very brief error message that
> doesn't last long enough for me to read, but it seems to be indicating
> a problem with writing or reading some RAM address.
>
> How is the best way to check the RAM out and verify that the problem
> is in the RAM sticks, before I go buy replacements?
>
> Thanks, Gordon

You can use MemTest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/) It's free. Then you
can check with the motherboard manufacturer for any additional
diagnostic utilities.

Additionally, the motherboard's manufacturer's web site should be able
to tell exactly what that specific pattern (number and interval) of the
"Beep Codes" means.

Since you suspect a "thermally related problem," you should also check
to ensure that all of the computer's airways are free of obstruction and
that all of the cooling fans are working. Further, you should blow out
any dust or debris that has built up inside the computer's case. Sadly,
though, it it does turn out that you do have a "thermally related
problem," you may well have to replace the damaged component(s); thermal
damage is irreversible.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
From: Bruce Chambers on
Antares 531 wrote:
> Is there an easy, straight forward way to check the RAM memory sticks
> in my computer? This is an older computer, running Windows XP Pro with
> SP3 installed.
>
> The computer has a Gigabyte S-Series motherboard...GA-P35-DS3L with an
> Intel P35 Express chipset.
>
> I set it up with an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, E6750l @ 2.66 GHz and two
> 2.67 GHz, 2.0 GB RAM sticks.
>
> From time to time, when I try to start this computer it will beep a
> series of beeps of about one second on and one second off. At this
> time the CPU cooling fan will start and stop in sync with the beeps.
>
> I can press the OFF switch and do a restart and this usually clears
> the problem for the time being, but it will show up again the next
> time I do a cold start. This may indicate a thermally related problem,
> but I don't know how to check this out.
>
> Sometimes, during shut-down, I see a very brief error message that
> doesn't last long enough for me to read, but it seems to be indicating
> a problem with writing or reading some RAM address.
>
> How is the best way to check the RAM out and verify that the problem
> is in the RAM sticks, before I go buy replacements?
>
> Thanks, Gordon

You can use MemTest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/) It's free. Then you
can check with the motherboard manufacturer for any additional
diagnostic utilities.

Additionally, the motherboard's manufacturer's web site should be able
to tell exactly what that specific pattern (number and interval) of the
"Beep Codes" means.

Since you suspect a "thermally related problem," you should also check
to ensure that all of the computer's airways are free of obstruction and
that all of the cooling fans are working. Further, you should blow out
any dust or debris that has built up inside the computer's case. Sadly,
though, if it does turn out that you do have a "thermally related
problem," you may well have to replace the damaged component(s); thermal
damage is irreversible.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: