From: Ralf Hildebrandt on
* Alex <mysqlstudent(a)gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to evaluate the block lists that are available to be used
> at SMTP connection time with reject_maps_rbl,

reject_maps_rbl is deprecated. Use reject_rbl_client et.al.

> Is there a "best practices" document that includes recommendations or
> suggestions on which RBLs to use for which purpose? I'd also like to
> be able to gather some stats on them, such as how many rejects,
> queries, perhaps even the IPs that were rejected, so that I may
> collect this information and create some historical data.

That doesn't help. Everybody's spam is different AND you forget the
false positives!

> I'm currently considering multi.uribl.com and multi.surbl.org as the
> top two, but even with that I've read that in the past there were
> great concerns that they'd get knocked offline and what the
> implications would be for the postfix server.

I'm using zen.spamhaus.org in postscreen and,

reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net
reject_rbl_client bogons.cymru.com
reject_rhsbl_sender dbl.spamhaus.org
reject_rhsbl_reverse_client dbl.spamhaus.org

--
Ralf Hildebrandt
Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin

From: Sean Reifschneider on
On 04/10/2010 01:09 AM, Alex wrote:
> I'm trying to evaluate the block lists that are available to be used

I don't like allowing any blacklists to have serious power over blocking
e-mail. I prefer using SpamAssassin, which will do lookups on many RBLs,
and then use the results to influence the score. So if one RBL says
something bad, it doesn't influence it as much as if many of them do.

Sean
--
Sean Reifschneider, Member of Technical Staff <jafo(a)tummy.com>

From: mouss on
Sean Reifschneider a �crit :
> On 04/10/2010 01:09 AM, Alex wrote:
>> I'm trying to evaluate the block lists that are available to be used
>
> I don't like allowing any blacklists to have serious power over blocking
> e-mail. I prefer using SpamAssassin, which will do lookups on many RBLs,
> and then use the results to influence the score. So if one RBL says
> something bad, it doesn't influence it as much as if many of them do.

That works for small sites who can afford to content filter all mail.
For other sites, this is no more an option.

and besides, I see more false positives with Spamassassin than with
zen.spamhaus.org. and the spam folder (or quarantine...) only works if
it's not full of junk.

Back to OP question: Use zen.spamhaus.org. then for other lists, use
them with warn_if_reject during some time and see if they bring value
without causing false positives.

From: Ansgar Wiechers on
On 2010-04-10 mouss wrote:
> Sean Reifschneider a �crit :
>> I don't like allowing any blacklists to have serious power over
>> blocking e-mail. I prefer using SpamAssassin, which will do lookups
>> on many RBLs, and then use the results to influence the score. So if
>> one RBL says something bad, it doesn't influence it as much as if
>> many of them do.
>
> That works for small sites who can afford to content filter all mail.
> For other sites, this is no more an option.

policyd-weight does the same without content filtering.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--Joel Spolsky

From: mouss on
Ansgar Wiechers a �crit :
> On 2010-04-10 mouss wrote:
>> Sean Reifschneider a �crit :
>>> I don't like allowing any blacklists to have serious power over
>>> blocking e-mail. I prefer using SpamAssassin, which will do lookups
>>> on many RBLs, and then use the results to influence the score. So if
>>> one RBL says something bad, it doesn't influence it as much as if
>>> many of them do.
>> That works for small sites who can afford to content filter all mail.
>> For other sites, this is no more an option.
>
> policyd-weight does the same without content filtering.

Indeed. but here, zen is "reliable". so I use it directly.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Patch: support BURL
Next: Migrating from postfix to Exim