From: listserv.traffic on

Recently, I've noticed a lot more spam. In checking the logs I find
that zen.spamhaus.org has really lost ground in terms of rejections.

I use zen and bl.spamcop.net. In the past, zen had >10 times the
number of hits that bl.spamcop.net did.

zen doesn't seem to have blocked me, because I can hand-query them,
and I'm still getting some rejections with zen.

But either something's broken - which I can't find, or zen isn't
nearly as effective as it once was.

For example:
Over a few days, I get

15025 zen rejects
26558 bl.spamcop.net rejects

(Like I said, in the past, zen would be way higher than
bl.spamcop.net. Plus it's first in the reject list, so I think bl
only gets hits if zen doesn't.)

---
Here's how I have my RBL's configured.

smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
permit_mynetworks,
permit_sasl_authenticated,
reject_non_fqdn_sender,
reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
reject_unknown_sender_domain,
reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
reject_unauth_destination,
check_recipient_access pcre:/etc/postfix/recipient_checks.pcre,
check_helo_access hash:/etc/postfix/helo_checks,
check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/sender_checks,
check_client_access hash:/etc/postfix/client_checks,
check_client_access pcre:/etc/postfix/client_checks.pcre,
reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org,
reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net,
permit

---

Oh, and I'm running Poxfix 2.3.3

So, any ideas why things have changed? (Or am I imagining things...)

-Greg

From: d.hill on
Quoting listserv.traffic(a)sloop.net:

> Recently, I've noticed a lot more spam. In checking the logs I find
> that zen.spamhaus.org has really lost ground in terms of rejections.
>
> I use zen and bl.spamcop.net. In the past, zen had >10 times the
> number of hits that bl.spamcop.net did.
>
> zen doesn't seem to have blocked me, because I can hand-query them,
> and I'm still getting some rejections with zen.
>
> But either something's broken - which I can't find, or zen isn't
> nearly as effective as it once was.
>
> For example:
> Over a few days, I get
>
> 15025 zen rejects
> 26558 bl.spamcop.net rejects
>
> (Like I said, in the past, zen would be way higher than
> bl.spamcop.net. Plus it's first in the reject list, so I think bl
> only gets hits if zen doesn't.)
>
> ---
> Here's how I have my RBL's configured.
>
> smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
> permit_mynetworks,
> permit_sasl_authenticated,
> reject_non_fqdn_sender,
> reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
> reject_unknown_sender_domain,
> reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
> reject_unauth_destination,
> check_recipient_access pcre:/etc/postfix/recipient_checks.pcre,
> check_helo_access hash:/etc/postfix/helo_checks,
> check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/sender_checks,
> check_client_access hash:/etc/postfix/client_checks,
> check_client_access pcre:/etc/postfix/client_checks.pcre,
> reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org,
> reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net,
> permit
>
> ---
>
> Oh, and I'm running Poxfix 2.3.3
>
> So, any ideas why things have changed? (Or am I imagining things...)

So far today zen.spamhaus 94,752 and bl.spamcop 1,132.

%postconf -d mail_version
mail_version = 2.6.5

I have spamhaus listed before spamcop.

From: David Schraeder on
How are you guys getting those stats on the blocks?

From: Wietse Venema on
David Schraeder:
> How are you guys getting those stats on the blocks?

awk '
/blocked using [^;]+;/ { stats[$20]++ }
END { for (name in stats) print name, " ", stats[name] }
' /var/log/maillog

Wietse

From: Stan Hoeppner on
David Schraeder put forth on 2/26/2010 2:13 PM:
> How are you guys getting those stats on the blocks?

Alternatively, try pflogsumm:

http://jimsun.linxnet.com/postfix_contrib.html

If you use Debian you can install pflogsumm via aptitude.

--
Stan