From: Jack on

"Raoul Watson" <WatsonR(a)IntelligenCIA.com> wrote in message
> jcage(a)lycos.com wrote:
>> I had a crash on my computer and as a consequence, lost some stuff.
>> As I rebuilt the registry to get back to where I was, I've been
>> plagued with my Philips DVD drive (pretty much everything is back to
>> normal but that - just recently solved a printer issue that had been
>> plaguing me).
>>
>> It's a Dell 8400 Dimension with Windows XPpro SP2 on it. When it
>> boots up, it inquires about the new hardware it's found and I
>> generally click 'cancel' (since trying to follow it through gets me
>> nowhere). My 'device manager' shows the drive by name and 'my
>> computer' shows the drive. I can put a CD in it and read the CD but I
>> can't use it to burn anything to. Unless I want to burn files or
>> music to it, it works fine for reading purposes. When I click 'add
>> new hardware', I can get the same message up as when I boot (found new
>> hardware). I've tried uninstalling the drive through device manager
>> and when I reboot - it's more of the same (it shows in My Computer,
>> shows okay in Device Manager, I can read the files on a CD, etc).
>>
>> From what I understand, the Windows XP 'system files' are supposed to
>> allow this drive to 'install' yet, that doesn't seem to be the case.
>> I went to the DELL website and all they have to offer is firmware
>> updates versus an actual drive driver. I'm inclined to believe it's a
>> similar thing to my printer issue where I'm missing some file that
>> won't allow it to install but am not sure so thought I'd run it by
>> folks on these groups to see if anyone else may have encountered the
>> issue.
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
>>
>> John
>
> If that DVD drive came with your system, simply go to
> http://support.dell.com and locate your PC by entering the tag number.
> Then select XP and find the driver for the DVD drive. Simply install the
> software and restart.
>
> If you add the DVD drive yourself, you will have to find the driver for
> it.
>
> Good rule of thumb to remember when devices don't work. Get the latest
> driver from the manufacturer.

That's a Windows 98 solution. Windows XP has all the drivers you need.

From: Raoul Watson on
Jack wrote:

> "Raoul Watson" <WatsonR(a)IntelligenCIA.com> wrote in message
>> jcage(a)lycos.com wrote:
>>> I had a crash on my computer and as a consequence, lost some stuff.
>>> As I rebuilt the registry to get back to where I was, I've been
>>> plagued with my Philips DVD drive (pretty much everything is back to
>>> normal but that - just recently solved a printer issue that had been
>>> plaguing me).
>>>
>>> It's a Dell 8400 Dimension with Windows XPpro SP2 on it. When it
>>> boots up, it inquires about the new hardware it's found and I
>>> generally click 'cancel' (since trying to follow it through gets me
>>> nowhere). My 'device manager' shows the drive by name and 'my
>>> computer' shows the drive. I can put a CD in it and read the CD but I
>>> can't use it to burn anything to. Unless I want to burn files or
>>> music to it, it works fine for reading purposes. When I click 'add
>>> new hardware', I can get the same message up as when I boot (found new
>>> hardware). I've tried uninstalling the drive through device manager
>>> and when I reboot - it's more of the same (it shows in My Computer,
>>> shows okay in Device Manager, I can read the files on a CD, etc).
>>>
>>> From what I understand, the Windows XP 'system files' are supposed to
>>> allow this drive to 'install' yet, that doesn't seem to be the case.
>>> I went to the DELL website and all they have to offer is firmware
>>> updates versus an actual drive driver. I'm inclined to believe it's a
>>> similar thing to my printer issue where I'm missing some file that
>>> won't allow it to install but am not sure so thought I'd run it by
>>> folks on these groups to see if anyone else may have encountered the
>>> issue.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help,
>>>
>>> John
>>
>> If that DVD drive came with your system, simply go to
>> http://support.dell.com and locate your PC by entering the tag number.
>> Then select XP and find the driver for the DVD drive. Simply install
>> the software and restart.
>>
>> If you add the DVD drive yourself, you will have to find the driver
>> for it.
>>
>> Good rule of thumb to remember when devices don't work. Get the latest
>> driver from the manufacturer.
>
> That's a Windows 98 solution. Windows XP has all the drivers you need.

I am glad you are here to tell us this.. If that was true then all the
sites listing drivers are wasting their time. For example, Dell support
for Dell Optiplex 960 has 28 download for XP drivers related to DVD
drivers and firmware updates. Perhaps you should visit some support
sites before contributing useless information.
From: Jack on

> Jack wrote:
>>
>> "Raoul Watson" <WatsonR(a)IntelligenCIA.com> wrote in message

>>> If that DVD drive came with your system, simply go to
>>> http://support.dell.com and locate your PC by entering the tag number.
>>> Then select XP and find the driver for the DVD drive. Simply install the
>>> software and restart.
>>>
>>> If you add the DVD drive yourself, you will have to find the driver for
>>> it.
>>>
>>> Good rule of thumb to remember when devices don't work. Get the latest
>>> driver from the manufacturer.
>>
>> That's a Windows 98 solution. Windows XP has all the drivers you need.
>
> I am glad you are here to tell us this.. If that was true then all the
> sites listing drivers are wasting their time. For example, Dell support
> for Dell Optiplex 960 has 28 download for XP drivers related to DVD
> drivers and firmware updates. Perhaps you should visit some support sites
> before contributing useless information.

Just what DVD Drive _needs_ a driver that isn't included in Windows XP and
later?

Note that the OP is "RE-installing" his drive. It must have been working
somehow before.

If you re-read Dell's support on DVD Drives, it only mentions System BIOS or
DVD Firmware; nothing about DVD Drivers is there for Windows XP.

You fall into this category of imbeciles: "I don't know the answer, but I'll
reply anyway."

From: chrisv on

"Jack" <nospam(a)invalid.not> wrote in message

> "Raoul Watson" <WatsonR(a)IntelligenCIA.com> wrote in message
>> Jack wrote:
>>>
>>> "Raoul Watson" <WatsonR(a)IntelligenCIA.com> wrote in message

>>> That's a Windows 98 solution. Windows XP has all the drivers you need.
>>
>> I am glad you are here to tell us this.. If that was true then all the
>> sites listing drivers are wasting their time. For example, Dell support
>> for Dell Optiplex 960 has 28 download for XP drivers related to DVD
>> drivers and firmware updates. Perhaps you should visit some support sites
>> before contributing useless information.
>
> Just what DVD Drive _needs_ a driver that isn't included in Windows XP and
> later?
>
> Note that the OP is "RE-installing" his drive. It must have been working
> somehow before.
>
> If you re-read Dell's support on DVD Drives, it only mentions System BIOS
> or DVD Firmware; nothing about DVD Drivers is there for Windows XP.
>
> You fall into this category of imbeciles: "I don't know the answer, but
> I'll reply anyway."

Add: "Then I'll prove I know nothing with an inane response."

From: relic on

"chrisv" <chrisv(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> "Jack" <nospam(a)invalid.not> wrote in message
>>
>> "Raoul Watson" <WatsonR(a)IntelligenCIA.com> wrote in message

>>> I am glad you are here to tell us this.. If that was true then all the
>>> sites listing drivers are wasting their time. For example, Dell support
>>> for Dell Optiplex 960 has 28 download for XP drivers related to DVD
>>> drivers and firmware updates. Perhaps you should visit some support
>>> sites before contributing useless information.
>>
>> Just what DVD Drive _needs_ a driver that isn't included in Windows XP
>> and later?
>>
>> Note that the OP is "RE-installing" his drive. It must have been working
>> somehow before.
>>
>> If you re-read Dell's support on DVD Drives, it only mentions System BIOS
>> or DVD Firmware; nothing about DVD Drivers is there for Windows XP.
>>
>> You fall into this category of imbeciles: "I don't know the answer, but
>> I'll reply anyway."
>
> Add: "Then I'll prove I know nothing with an inane response."

This thread has become amusing. It's true that DVD drivers aren't needed.