From: zxcvbnm6000 on
I keep receiving a #REF! error when I try to use VLOOKUP to find data in one
document and bring it to another. If both documents are open all the numbers
are fine. However when I close the book with the data I receive the error, or
when the vlookup book is opened it does it. If tell it to update the data
error, if I don't update error. What is weird is I have other documents that
work fine, with the same equation. Please help because I'm lost on this
issue. Happens Excel 2007 and 2010.

=VLOOKUP(A2,'C:\Users\USER\Documents\BOOK DATA.xlsx'!Data[#All],2,FALSE)
From: Bob Bridges on
Someone else will be able to answer this more definitively, z, but what I can
add is that I've seen the same problem. I concluded at the time that it
depended on which servers the target workbook was on; if it was a shared
server, it wouldn't work, but if it was my own hard drive I had no
difficulty. If you can either confirm that finding or knock it in the head,
let me know; I'm still figuring out what causes it.

From: JLatham on
Please double check the formula you posted, perhaps copy it exactly from the
workbook in question. I don't see a sheet name or valid name in the formula
you put up. Data[#All] is not a valid Name, and [] are not valid characters
in a worksheet name. At least I can't get a name defined as Data[#All] in
Excel 2007 (nor in 2003).

From: zxcvbnm6000 on
@Bob Bridges - It is on the same PC and same HDD.

@ JLatham - I copied the equation correctly. Data[#All] refers to the table
"Data" and [#All] indicates that it includes the whole table not just pieces.
I found it odd too, that there is no sheet name, but if I try to enter it,
Excel just updates the equation to what I pasted.
From: JLatham on
[#All] is a feature I haven't played with and am unfamiliar with, sorry. But
I think since by implication you're interested in the entire table 'Data',
have you tried deleting the [#All] portion of the formula to see how things
work then?