From: geek on
Hi.,

Well, with out wasting your valuable time what the point I want to shoot
is that,

In an Image for a given pixel we can get its RGB values.I mean
consider this small example if the pixel is 24-bit,

R = 8
G = 8
B = 8

R, G & B are in the range of 0 - 255. combining these three color values we
will get an unique color.

In the same way is ther any procedure for audio too?

I mean, for example if we sampled an audio signal( 16-bit i.e. 0 - 65535 )

Is it possible for audio too?

Thanks :-)

From: robert bristow-johnson on
On Jul 27, 10:59 pm, geek <g...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
> Hi.,
>
>   Well, with out wasting your valuable time what the point I want to shoot
> is that,
>
>   In an Image for a given pixel we can get its RGB values.I mean
> consider this small example if the pixel is 24-bit,
>
> R = 8
> G = 8
> B = 8
>
> R, G & B are in the range of 0 - 255. combining these three color values we
> will get an unique color.

not just color (hue), but also color intensity (saturation), as well
as luminent intensity (the B&W brightness). and that for a particular
pixel. all this could be different for the adjacent pixel (but not as
likely for the hue and saturation, which is why the old NTSC provided
much less bandwidth for the chroma signals than for the luminence
signal).

> In the same way is there any procedure for audio too?

you need to start defining what you mean.

> I mean, for example if we sampled an audio signal( 16-bit i.e. 0 - 65535 )

or maybe you mean -32786 to +32767, no?

> Is it possible for audio too?

for each *individual* sample of audio, it doesn't make much sense to
ascribe properties like "color" or even "timbre" to it. but for a
segment of adjacent samples, (maybe a thousand samples), maybe it does
make some sense. but, sorta like in NTSC video, these timbre
parameters change much more slowly than every sample. it makes no
sense to ascribe a timbre property to each sample individually.

r b-j

From: John O'Flaherty on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 02:59:05 +0000 (UTC), geek <geek(a)nospam.net>
wrote:

>Hi.,
>

> Well, with out wasting your valuable time what the point I want to shoot
>is that,
>

> In an Image for a given pixel we can get its RGB values.I mean
>consider this small example if the pixel is 24-bit,
>

>R = 8
>G = 8
>B = 8
>
>R, G & B are in the range of 0 - 255. combining these three color values we
>will get an unique color.
>
>In the same way is ther any procedure for audio too?
>
>I mean, for example if we sampled an audio signal( 16-bit i.e. 0 - 65535 )
>
>Is it possible for audio too?

No. It works for color because that sensation is filtered through red,
green and blue sensitive cells in the eye that respond at different
levels according to the hue, saturation and intensity of the light
falling on them. The ear works differently, and tone color can't be
reduced to three numbers. There's also the hitch that multiple pixels
are separated by space, so entire pictures can be presented in one
instant of time. Sound doesn't reduce to pixels, and it has to evolve
over time, both for frequencies and for the longer scale evolution of
sounds.
--
John
From: Miguel Giménez on
El 28/07/2010 4:59, geek escribió:
> Hi.,
>

> Well, with out wasting your valuable time what the point I want to shoot
> is that,
>

> In an Image for a given pixel we can get its RGB values.I mean
> consider this small example if the pixel is 24-bit,
>

> R = 8
> G = 8
> B = 8
>
> R, G& B are in the range of 0 - 255. combining these three color values we
> will get an unique color.
>
> In the same way is ther any procedure for audio too?
>
> I mean, for example if we sampled an audio signal( 16-bit i.e. 0 - 65535 )
>
> Is it possible for audio too?

Maybe. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia :

Sound → color synesthesia

Cytowic calls sound → color synesthesia "something like fireworks":
voice, music, and assorted environmental sounds such as clattering
dishes or dog barks trigger color and simple shapes that arise, move
around, and then fade when the sound stimulus ends.[3] For some, the
stimulus type is limited (e.g., music only, or even just a specific
musical key); for others, a wide variety of sounds triggers synesthesia.

Sound often changes the perceived hue, brightness, scintillation, and
directional movement. Some individuals see music on a "screen" in front
of their face. Deni Simon, for whom music produces waving lines "like
oscilloscope configurations—lines moving in color, often metallic with
height, width and, most importantly, depth. My favorite music has lines
that extend horizontally beyond the 'screen' area."[3]

Individuals rarely agree on what color a given sound is (composers Liszt
and Rimsky-Korsakov famously disagreed on the colors of music keys);
however, synesthetes show the same trends as non-synesthetes do. For
example, both groups say that loud tones are brighter than soft tones
and that lower tones are darker than higher tones.

--
Regards
Miguel Giménez