From: Allen Kistler on
Kurt wrote:
> I just did an "yum update" and now I cannot access my encrypted disk. As
> this is Red Hat Enterprise I must say I doubt that this is an error in the
> distribution and maybe the error is a faulty password or alike but I need to
> toss this in the air and see what happens as I have no other ideas as I have
> entered this password countless number of times previously.
>
> [snip]

cryptsetup uses kernel crypto modules. Try booting your older kernel.

If that works, check the release notes. (I don't remember seeing
anything, but ...) If there's nothing in the release notes, file a bug
against the current kernel using whatever level of support your contract
allows.
From: Kurt on
>> I just did an "yum update" and now I cannot access my encrypted disk. As
>> this is Red Hat Enterprise I must say I doubt that this is an error in
>> the
>> distribution and maybe the error is a faulty password or alike but I need
>> toss this in the air and see what happens as I have no other ideas as I
>> have
>> entered this password countless number of times previously.
>> [snip]
>
> cryptsetup uses kernel crypto modules. Try booting your older kernel.
>
> If that works, check the release notes. (I don't remember seeing
> anything, but ...) If there's nothing in the release notes, file a bug
> against the current kernel using whatever level of support your contract
> allows.

Sadly that didn't help either. I also tried mounting on a CentOS 5.2 where
my current system is RHEL 5.4
So I guess this looks like a brain-meltdown (cannot remember my password)?
:-(

Just to be absolutely sure - there is no way to reset the password or access
the content somehow? Will a professional company be able to do it? Naturally
this must be taken into consideration that this is only private stuff
gathered over the years only having an emotional value for me (pictures,
text etc).

From: Loki Harfagr on
Sun, 27 Sep 2009 14:22:16 +0200, Kurt did cat :

>>> I just did an "yum update" and now I cannot access my encrypted disk.
>>> As this is Red Hat Enterprise I must say I doubt that this is an error
>>> in the
>>> distribution and maybe the error is a faulty password or alike but I
>>> need to
>>> toss this in the air and see what happens as I have no other ideas as
>>> I have
>>> entered this password countless number of times previously. [snip]
>>
>> cryptsetup uses kernel crypto modules. Try booting your older kernel.
>>
>> If that works, check the release notes. (I don't remember seeing
>> anything, but ...) If there's nothing in the release notes, file a bug
>> against the current kernel using whatever level of support your
>> contract allows.
>
> Sadly that didn't help either. I also tried mounting on a CentOS 5.2
> where my current system is RHEL 5.4
> So I guess this looks like a brain-meltdown (cannot remember my
> password)? :-(

It happened to me that after a power failure (well sort of, that
was just some people coming to my office and using the live
wire off my lap while it was sleeping on suspend...) when
rebooting I had this kind of incident twice, first time it
was solved by plugging a qwerty instead of the inbed azerty,
(no idea why the power shortage caused that). And the second
time it was resolved much more simply by using an external
USB ky holding emergency recovery keys (the first case
made me have this idea to prepare them ,-)
As I see you only have one key enabled in your luks setup
I wish you good luck with trying different types of keybs!
(or maybe trying harder to remember your password, it also happens!-)

> Just to be absolutely sure - there is no way to reset the password or
> access the content somehow?

It shouldn't...

> Will a professional company be able to do
> it?

Some snake oil resellers may pretend so but you used
fairly secure cipher and hash (aes cbc-essiv:sha256 - sha1)
so maybe you'll have an only chance in case the US-army lied
about the privacy and the NSA would lend you some days processing ;-)

> Naturally this must be taken into consideration that this is only
> private stuff gathered over the years only having an emotional value for
> me (pictures, text etc).

your best bet if anything fails and you dont get lucky with keyboard and
or password remembering will be your backups, that's a recurrent and sad story.
From: Kurt on
> It happened to me that after a power failure (well sort of, that
> was just some people coming to my office and using the live
> wire off my lap while it was sleeping on suspend...) when
> rebooting I had this kind of incident twice, first time it
> was solved by plugging a qwerty instead of the inbed azerty,
> (no idea why the power shortage caused that). And the second
> time it was resolved much more simply by using an external
> USB ky holding emergency recovery keys (the first case
> made me have this idea to prepare them ,-)
> As I see you only have one key enabled in your luks setup
> I wish you good luck with trying different types of keybs!
> (or maybe trying harder to remember your password, it also happens!-)

I have checked that my keyboard is spelling the same way as I think it does
;-) So that should be okay.

>> Will a professional company be able to do
>> it?
>
> Some snake oil resellers may pretend so but you used
> fairly secure cipher and hash (aes cbc-essiv:sha256 - sha1)
> so maybe you'll have an only chance in case the US-army lied
> about the privacy and the NSA would lend you some days processing ;-)

Ha, yeah that could be good :-)

> your best bet if anything fails and you dont get lucky with keyboard and
> or password remembering will be your backups, that's a recurrent and sad
> story.

It sure is - here I thought I were sooooo secure and then I didn't think of
this little way too simple thing... "what happens if I loose the password"!?

From: Kurt on
> As I see you only have one key enabled in your luks setup
> I wish you good luck with trying different types of keybs!
> (or maybe trying harder to remember your password, it also happens!-)

Just an idea - as it is impossible to brute-force the password as it only
allows one try per second, is it then somehow possible to extract the key
and try and bruteforce that... if I know the exact same way to find the
crypted key? I guess that would go so much faster to compare those two
crypted strings? Does that make sense at all?

I _think: I know the most of my password, but the last digits I may think
could be wrong so if I could try with maybe 90% of the password good, then
perhaps I could get some luck with bruteforce?