From: Andrew Sackville-West on
On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 06:53:08AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,140903-c,netscape/article.html

yeah, it's kinda sad, but at the same time, my memory of Netscape is
always kind of unpleasant. I remember struggling to get it to work
properly and convince others to use it instead of IE. Meanwhile, I
remember it working much better once it was set up.

Look at its legacy though: a significant driving force and "gateway"
app for the open source community.

From: Ron Johnson on
On Saturday December 29 2007 13:10:00 Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 06:53:08AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> > http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,140903-c,netscape/article.h
> >tml
>
> yeah, it's kinda sad, but at the same time, my memory of
> Netscape is always kind of unpleasant. I remember struggling to
> get it to work properly

????

> and convince others to use it instead
> of IE. Meanwhile, I remember it working much better once it was
> set up.
>
> Look at its legacy though: a significant driving force and
> "gateway" app for the open source community.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft ... and
the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor."
Wernher von Braun
From: Sjoerd Hiemstra on
Ron Johnson wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > my memory of Netscape is always kind of unpleasant. I remember
> > struggling to get it to work properly
>
> ????

Netscape Navigator 9.0.0.5 for Linux has just been released.
Works fine, looks good.
Get it here:

http://browser.netscape.com/downloads

After unpacking, just run ./navigator inside the folder.
No interference with the package manager.

As far as I'm concerned, 'Netscape' is a good name. I always wondered
how names like 'Seamonkey', 'Iceape' or 'Firefox' could ever make their
way into a serious, corporate environment.

On Dec 29, 2007 3:18 PM, Sjoerd Hiemstra <shiems146(a)kpnplanet.nl> wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > > my memory of Netscape is always kind of unpleasant. I remember
> > > struggling to get it to work properly
> >
> > ????
>
> Netscape Navigator 9.0.0.5 for Linux has just been released.
> Works fine, looks good.
> Get it here:
>
> http://browser.netscape.com/downloads
>
> After unpacking, just run ./navigator inside the folder.
> No interference with the package manager.

He is probably referring to Netscape <= 4.x
Nobody uses Netscape >= 6 anyway, which is why it is being dropped.

> As far as I'm concerned, 'Netscape' is a good name. I always wondered
> how names like 'Seamonkey', 'Iceape' or 'Firefox' could ever make their
> way into a serious, corporate environment.

Mozilla and Firefox (and Phoenix and Firebird) are fine in my opinion.
SeaMonkey, Iceape, Iceweasel, etc. seem like suboptimal names to
me, but they aren't as widespread. Anyway, I just say Mozilla and
Firefox unless I really need to specify (I hope no one from MoCo
reads that).

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 16:52:54 -0600
Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:

> "Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft ... and
> the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor."
> Wernher von Braun

Reminds me of Asimov's "The Feeling of Power":
http://downlode.org/Etext/power.html

Celejar