From: The Magnet on
I was looking at this RMAN script. I see these commands:

STARTUP FORCE MOUNT
ALTER DATABASE MOUNT

STARTUP FORCE shuts it down and then restarts it and mounts it. So,
why the ALTER DATABASE MOUNT?

STARTUP FORCE MOUNT;
RESTORE CONTROLFILE;
ALTER DATABASE MOUNT;
RESTORE DATABASE;
RECOVER DATABASE;
ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;

From: Mark D Powell on
On Aug 13, 1:47 pm, The Magnet <a...(a)unsu.com> wrote:
> I was looking at this RMAN script.  I see these commands:
>
> STARTUP FORCE MOUNT
> ALTER DATABASE MOUNT
>
> STARTUP FORCE shuts it down and then restarts it and mounts it.  So,
> why the ALTER DATABASE MOUNT?
>
>    STARTUP FORCE MOUNT;
> RESTORE CONTROLFILE;
>    ALTER DATABASE MOUNT;
> RESTORE DATABASE;
> RECOVER DATABASE;
> ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;

The script looks like it was taken from the Oracle® Database Backup
and Recovery Advanced User's Guide 10g Release 2 (10.2) available at
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmrecov.htm#BRADV008

STARTUP FORCE MOUNT;
RESTORE CONTROLFILE; # restore control file from consistent backup
ALTER DATABASE MOUNT;
RESTORE DATABASE; # restore datafiles from consistent backup
RECOVER DATABASE NOREDO; # specify NOREDO because online redo logs
are lost
ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;

You have just restored the control file from backup and I hazard a
guess that the alter database mount is needed to read the control file
you just restored, i.e., reposition to the start of the restored
control file.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --

From: joel garry on
On Aug 13, 12:33 pm, Mark D Powell <Mark.Powe...(a)hp.com> wrote:
> On Aug 13, 1:47 pm, The Magnet <a...(a)unsu.com> wrote:
>
> > I was looking at this RMAN script.  I see these commands:
>
> > STARTUP FORCE MOUNT
> > ALTER DATABASE MOUNT
>
> > STARTUP FORCE shuts it down and then restarts it and mounts it.  So,
> > why the ALTER DATABASE MOUNT?
>
> >    STARTUP FORCE MOUNT;
> > RESTORE CONTROLFILE;
> >    ALTER DATABASE MOUNT;
> > RESTORE DATABASE;
> > RECOVER DATABASE;
> > ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;
>
> The script looks like it was taken from the Oracle® Database Backup
> and Recovery Advanced User's Guide 10g Release 2 (10.2) available athttp://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmrec...
>
> STARTUP FORCE MOUNT;
> RESTORE CONTROLFILE;  # restore control file from consistent backup
> ALTER DATABASE MOUNT;
> RESTORE DATABASE;  # restore datafiles from consistent backup
> RECOVER DATABASE NOREDO;  # specify NOREDO because online redo logs
> are lost
> ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;
>
> You have just restored the control file from backup and I hazard a
> guess that the alter database mount is needed to read the control file
> you just restored, i.e., reposition to the start of the restored
> control file.
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --

That strikes me as correct, and yet something bothers me. I look at
your link, and see that it is an example with a catalog. I look at
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14194/rcmsynta051.htm#g1040497
and http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10643/rcmsynta2008.htm#sthref1524
and see that is an error. And of course, there is a "don't do
that" [mount when already mounted] somewhere, I think in the concepts
manual. I guess this goes to show you have to try it for specific
circumstances (or if I'm going bonkers, to read the manual more
carefully).

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.