From: Florian Frommherz [MVP] on
Howdie!

AJ schrieb:
> To add to this, we will likely have 6 RODC's maybe more in a permiter
> network and the same amount of Writeable domain controllers on the
> internal network. My concern here is to make sure that neither one of
> the RODCs or the Writeables get overloaded with authentication
> requests as we are talking a large number of users. The authentication
> requests will come from a thid party application via LDAP and be
> serviced intially by the RODC which will then refer to a writeable DC
> (No caching of creds). How would it be best to acheive this, should I
> manually configure the connection objects so that each RODC has a
> secure channel with its own writeable DC so a one to one mapping? I am
> more concerned about the referall traffic overload as opposed to the
> initial authenctication request from the application to the RODC as
> this will be handled by the application itself.

Six RODCs in the perimeter? I would assume you're trying to serve a heck
load of users out there. I'm interested in what kind of metrics you're
identifying that you'll need six RODCs. I'd run some perf tests on this,
just to be sure :-)

The RODCs will manually create a replication topology - they have some
mechanism involving the NTDS objects of DCs in the directory (ntds-DSA
vs. ntds-DSA-RO) and they're checking the DC's behaviorVersion attribute
that differs between 2008/2003. Let's just say they know what they're
doing and the KCC on both Full-DCs and RODCs form a rep topology so that
only 2008 DCs replicate to RODCs.

As far as multiple RODCs are concerned in a single site, you'd need to
watch. There are a couple of caveats. You may not be hit by many of them
but having different PRPs for the RODCs there may result in fancy
results. Also, RODC<->RODC rep won't occur so all of those six RODCs are
going to build rep connections to the hub site.

Cheers,
Florian
--
Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
eMail: prename [at] frickelsoft [dot] net.
From: AJ on
On 9 Feb, 20:02, "Florian Frommherz [MVP]"
<flor...(a)frickelsoft.DELETETHIS.net> wrote:
> Howdie!
>
> AJ schrieb:
>
> > To add to this, we will likely have 6 RODC's maybe more in a permiter
> > network and the same amount of Writeable domain controllers on the
> > internal network. My concern here is to make sure that neither one of
> > the RODCs or the Writeables get overloaded with authentication
> > requests as we are talking a large number of users. The authentication
> > requests will come from a thid party application via LDAP and be
> > serviced intially by the RODC which will then refer to a writeable DC
> > (No caching of creds).  How would it be best to acheive this, should I
> > manually configure the connection objects so that each RODC has a
> > secure channel with its own writeable DC so a one to one mapping? I am
> > more concerned about the referall traffic overload as opposed to the
> > initial authenctication request from the application to the RODC as
> > this will be handled by the application itself.
>
> Six RODCs in the perimeter? I would assume you're trying to serve a heck
> load of users out there. I'm interested in what kind of metrics you're
> identifying that you'll need six RODCs. I'd run some perf tests on this,
> just to be sure :-)
>
> The RODCs will manually create a replication topology - they have some
> mechanism involving the NTDS objects of DCs in the directory (ntds-DSA
> vs. ntds-DSA-RO) and they're checking the DC's behaviorVersion attribute
> that differs between 2008/2003. Let's just say they know what they're
> doing and the KCC on both Full-DCs and RODCs form a rep topology so that
> only 2008 DCs replicate to RODCs.
>
> As far as multiple RODCs are concerned in a single site, you'd need to
> watch. There are a couple of caveats. You may not be hit by many of them
> but having different PRPs for the RODCs there may result in fancy
> results. Also, RODC<->RODC rep won't occur so all of those six RODCs are
> going to build rep connections to the hub site.
>
> Cheers,
> Florian
> --
> Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
> eMail: prename [at] frickelsoft [dot] net.
> blog:http://www.frickelsoft.net/blog.
> ANY advice you get on the Newsgroups should be tested thoroughly in your
> lab.

Hi Florian

Thanks for your response, I appreciate your input

The number of DCs is not an issue for us at the moment as it hasn't
been decided upon yet so no concrete decisions. It is expected to be
somewhere around that mark though maybe more (>100K users)
We are already aware of the issues you mention, we have read so many
blogs and whitepapers on the subject but nothing answers our core
question. Based on a response from Meinolf it stated that the
writeable domain controller that the RODC is partnered with (As seen
via sites and service as a inbound NTDS connection object) is the
domain controller that will handle authentication requests on behalf
of the RODC (as well as being the source of replication traffic). My
question is what mechanism is used to make sure the writeable domain
controllers dont get overloaded with authentication requests?
How will each RODC determine which writeable domain controller to
partner with when it is joined to the domain and what if each RODC
gets partnered with the same writeable DC, surely this will cause an
overloaded DC. My suggestions was to manually configure the connection
objects as opposed to letting the ISTG perform this function.
Can anyone throw some light on this and answer my question?

TIA

AJ

From: Florian Frommherz [MVP] on
Howdie!

AJ wrote:
> The number of DCs is not an issue for us at the moment as it hasn't
> been decided upon yet so no concrete decisions. It is expected to be
> somewhere around that mark though maybe more (>100K users)
> We are already aware of the issues you mention, we have read so many
> blogs and whitepapers on the subject but nothing answers our core
> question. Based on a response from Meinolf it stated that the
> writeable domain controller that the RODC is partnered with (As seen
> via sites and service as a inbound NTDS connection object) is the
> domain controller that will handle authentication requests on behalf
> of the RODC (as well as being the source of replication traffic). My

You can assume that the DC the RODC has connection objects with is the
one that handles the authentication requests.

> question is what mechanism is used to make sure the writeable domain
> controllers dont get overloaded with authentication requests?

If a DC doesn't respond to a request in a certain time, another DC is
picked. That should apply to RODCs in a similar manner. If you are
concerned about the writable DCs, I'd probably think about caching
domain information on the RODCs as they'd then be able to handle auth
themselves. If it is that much of user data, I'd probably think about a
seperate forest and domain for the DMZ and create a forest trust with
selective auth and let only those accounts really needed into the corp
forest. I don't wanna say you didn't evaluate the situation right, I
just want to point out options.

Cheers,
Florian
From: AJ on
On 10 Feb, 07:56, "Florian Frommherz [MVP]" <flor...(a)frickelsoft.net>
wrote:
> Howdie!
>
> AJ wrote:
> > The number of DCs is not an issue for us at the moment as it hasn't
> > been decided upon yet so no concrete decisions. It is expected to be
> > somewhere around that mark though maybe more (>100K users)
> > We are already aware of the issues you mention, we have read so many
> > blogs and whitepapers on the subject but nothing answers our core
> > question. Based on a response from Meinolf it stated that the
> > writeable domain controller that the RODC is partnered with (As seen
> > via sites and service as a inbound NTDS connection object) is the
> > domain controller that will handle authentication requests on behalf
> > of the RODC (as well as being the source of replication traffic). My
>
> You can assume that the DC the RODC has connection objects with is the
> one that handles the authentication requests.
>
> > question is what mechanism is used to make sure the writeable domain
> > controllers dont get overloaded with authentication requests?
>
> If a DC doesn't respond to a request in a certain time, another DC is
> picked. That should apply to RODCs in a similar manner. If you are
> concerned about the writable DCs, I'd probably think about caching
> domain information on the RODCs as they'd then be able to handle auth
> themselves. If it is that much of user data, I'd probably think about a
> seperate forest and domain for the DMZ and create a forest trust with
> selective auth and let only those accounts really needed into the corp
> forest. I don't wanna say you didn't evaluate the situation right, I
> just want to point out options.
>
> Cheers,
> Florian

OK thanks for this and this is what I stated in my orginal question.
Actually the setup is a seperate forest (Forest trust model). The
reason we decided not to cache accounts on the RODC is because of the
issues with more than one RODC in a site and the potential issues that
might occur if one of the RODC has a new password replicated to it
before the others. As you know the RODCs cannot rep with each other
and therefore there would be a time lag before the other RODCs have up
to date password information (as I undersatand it) which would cause
authentication issues.
Nothing will be allowed into the corp forest, the corp forest will be
trusted by the perimiter forest only. In addition there will be a
firewall between the RODC and writeable domain controllers, in
seperare sites and lots of IPSEC going on.

Thanks very much for your response and if you have any further
comments to make, please do so.

TIA

AJ