From: Mark C on
Hi,

I am trying to set up RPC over HTTPS. I have a front-end back-end (FE/BE)
environment. None of my Exchange servers is a domain controller or global
catalog. I have separate AD controllers to handle that stuff.

I have installed the RPC component using Add / Remove Programs, and I have
used the GUI in Exchange System Manager to tell the respective servers to
act as Front-End RPC or Back-End RPC.

But I am still having trouble connecting from the outside using Outlook 2003
with an RPC profile.

I keep seeing a lot of articles that discuss setting up Valid Ports and
editing the registry. But almost all of these artiles seem to refer to a
single Exchange Server installation.

My question is: in a FE/BE environment, to I have to edit the registry? If
so, do I have to edit the FE server, or the BE server, or both? And if so,
could you point me to the proper settings.

FWIW, it looks like the ValidPorts key was automatically created on the
front-end server with ports 6001-6002 and 6004 pointing to my back-end
server.

Thank you

From: John Oliver, Jr. [MVP] on
Review this link,