From: Daniel Dilts on
I remember finding a paper written by the guys at HP back in the 80s
(I think it was 1985) about RPL, how it was implemented and why. Does
anybody know where I can find this paper again?
From: Raymond Del Tondo on
You mean the RPL ERS . This document should be available (if at all) on
www.hpcalc.org

And if it's not available online, there are still the doc files for the HP
RPL Tools,
which also include some related history information (RPLMAN.DOC, SASM.DOC)

HTH

Raymond

From: Daniel Dilts on
What is ERS? I found RPLMAN.doc, and that is at least most of what I
was looking at.

Where would I find the paper it references?
"RPL: A
Mathematical Control Language", by W. C. Wickes, published
in "Programming Environments", Institute for Applied Forth
Research, Inc., 1988

From: A.L. on
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 18:10:08 -0700 (PDT), Daniel Dilts
<diltsman(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>What is ERS? I found RPLMAN.doc, and that is at least most of what I
>was looking at.
>
>Where would I find the paper it references?
> "RPL: A
> Mathematical Control Language", by W. C. Wickes, published
> in "Programming Environments", Institute for Applied Forth
> Research, Inc., 1988

The very first publication about control language based on RPL is
according to my knowledge book by Zdzislaw Pawlak: "Organizacja Maszyn
Bezadresowuch" (Architecture of computers with no address space)
published in 1965 in Polish. Followed several Ph.Ds on mathematical
aspects of such computers and possible variants, in Institute of
Mathematics, Warsaw University. Actually, I participated in building a
prototype of such machine.

Some of Pawlak's works were translated into other languages, and are
quoted in western literature. Unfortunately, this was the middle of
"cold war" and topic became "strategic" with limited access. However,
Pawlak's book was freely available in bookstores in Poland. Actually,
he wrote 2 books about this topic

One of the books is available on-line

http://bcpw.bg.pw.edu.pl/dlibra/doccontent?id=1682&dirids=1

There are various theories how Pawlak's works impacted Forth and HP,
but all materials I have are anecdotal.

A.L.
From: Alain Montfranc on
Daniel Dilts avait pr�tendu :
> I remember finding a paper written by the guys at HP back in the 80s
> (I think it was 1985) about RPL, how it was implemented and why. Does
> anybody know where I can find this paper again?

There is also the official article in HP Journal
http://www.hpl.hp.com/hpjournal/pdfs/IssuePDFs/1987-08.pdf