From: tg on
On Nov 15, 3:24 pm, Jim Burns <burns...(a)osu.edu> wrote:
> tg wrote:
> > I'm fascinated by JJ's ability to elicit responses
> > with his language which closely approaches quantum
> > randomness. However, there is a reasonable underlying
> > language/philosophical question.
>
> I agree that these questions about quantum randomness
> and others like them are reasonable. But the program of
> consulting our intuition about their answers has expired,
> has ceased to be: it is an ex-program.
>
> The assumptions of Bell's Theorem are that the
> outcome of a quantum measurement is (i) determined
> by properties of the particle and apparatus
> (whether or not we can measure the properties
> themselves), and (ii) /not/ affected by anything
> that happens at some arbitrarily large distance
> (which are often abbreviated as "local reality"
> and may, for many purposes, be referred to as
> "our intuition").
>
> The theorem puts a limit on how strongly correlated
> certain pairs of widely separated measurements
> can be. Quantum mechanics claims that some of these
> measurements will break those limits. It turns out
> experimentally that quantum mechanics is right and
> "local reality" (AKA "our intuition") is wrong.
>
> > We believe that there is no cause that can effect
> > the lifetime of the decay of a particle. So it seems
> > to me that we could attribute a label of
> > 'hidden variable' to that information itself. IOW,
> > while we do not claim a cause, we could argue that
> > the lifetime could as easily be *determined* at the
> > instant of creation of the particle as at the instant
> > of decay. So there would be a piece of information
> > about the particle which is inaccessible rather than
> > non-existent.
>
> I'm afraid I don't find your description of this
> whatever-it-is (that does not cause the particle's
> decay but does determine it) to be very coherent.

I wrote rather quickly but I thought it was understandable; let me try
again:

1) I do not claim that something causes the particle's decay.

2) That nothing causes the particle's decay does not mean that the
lifetime is not determined at the creation of the particle. By
determined I only mean that it is inevitable, that there is nothing
that can change it.

3) If you believe that this would violate QM, then you should be able
to describe a hypothetical experiment whose outcome would be different
if my proposed conjecture is incorrect.

It seems to me that the best argument against what I am suggesting is
that it is not parsimonious, but I'm not even sure that such a
position holds up. As I said in the first place, this is a question
of language and philosophy, not physics. I find the use of decay as
the knee-jerk example to explain randomness to be facile.

-tg

From: Jim Burns on
tg wrote:
> On Nov 15, 3:24 pm, Jim Burns <burns...(a)osu.edu> wrote:
>> tg wrote:
>>> I'm fascinated by JJ's ability to elicit responses
>>> with his language which closely approaches quantum
>>> randomness. However, there is a reasonable underlying
>>> language/philosophical question.
>> I agree that these questions about quantum randomness
>> and others like them are reasonable. But the program of
>> consulting our intuition about their answers has expired,
>> has ceased to be: it is an ex-program.
>>
>> The assumptions of Bell's Theorem are that the
>> outcome of a quantum measurement is (i) determined
>> by properties of the particle and apparatus
>> (whether or not we can measure the properties
>> themselves), and (ii) /not/ affected by anything
>> that happens at some arbitrarily large distance
>> (which are often abbreviated as "local reality"
>> and may, for many purposes, be referred to as
>> "our intuition").
>>
>> The theorem puts a limit on how strongly correlated
>> certain pairs of widely separated measurements
>> can be. Quantum mechanics claims that some of these
>> measurements will break those limits. It turns out
>> experimentally that quantum mechanics is right and
>> "local reality" (AKA "our intuition") is wrong.
>>
>>> We believe that there is no cause that can effect
>>> the lifetime of the decay of a particle. So it seems
>>> to me that we could attribute a label of
>>> 'hidden variable' to that information itself. IOW,
>>> while we do not claim a cause, we could argue that
>>> the lifetime could as easily be *determined* at the
>>> instant of creation of the particle as at the instant
>>> of decay. So there would be a piece of information
>>> about the particle which is inaccessible rather than
>>> non-existent.
>> I'm afraid I don't find your description of this
>> whatever-it-is (that does not cause the particle's
>> decay but does determine it) to be very coherent.
>>

> I wrote rather quickly but I thought it was
> understandable; let me try again:
>
> 1) I do not claim that something causes the
> particle's decay.
>
> 2) That nothing causes the particle's decay does
> not mean that the lifetime is not determined at the
> creation of the particle. By determined I only mean
> that it is inevitable, that there is nothing that
> can change it.

Here is my understanding of /randomness/: the outcome of
an experiment (like rolling a die) is /random/ if, in all
the possible worlds that are /identical/, there is more
than one outcome (more than one face lands up). By
/identical/ I mean that /everything we know/ about
all the causal paths leading to our experimental
outcome is the same in each possible world.

My understanding of /quantum randomness/ is that we
consider all the possible worlds where /everything/
is identical, instead of /everything we know/, but
there is still more than one outcome of the experiment.

I see two interpretations that you might intend (and
a third option -- that I just don't get it).

(1) If we draw a box around the space-time just before
the decay of the atom, we can look at all the possible
worlds where the contents of the box is identical.
Because the decay of the atom has quantum randomness,
there are still different times of decay for the atom
in different possible worlds. HOWEVER, if we, in our
imaginations, mark the time of the decay on the box
(our hidden variable -- hidden because it plays no
part in the physics, being imaginary), then we can
further subdivide the possible worlds so that boxes
marked with the same time are grouped together.
Presto! The outcome is no longer random, because
these groups of possible worlds all have single outcomes
(the atom decays at the same time in each possible
world -- /within each subgroup/, that is).

Under this view, I suppose there is no quantum
randomness, but there is no randomness either,
nor any probability except 0 and 100%. There are no
uncertain outcomes because every outcome will be what
it will be, tautologically. I don't know, but this
view may be logically consistent, but it seems to
me completely useless. It certainly isn't physics.

(2) We have almost the same situation as before:
a box around the space-time just before the decay
of the atom, a collection of all the possible worlds
where the contents are identical. Except that, under
this view, in stead of marking the time of decay
on the outside of the box, it's placed inside the
box, inside a lockbox, let us say, so that we know
it can't be used in the processes leading to the outcome.

I think this might qualify as a physical theory,
but this is also the sort of situation that
Bell's theorem applies to. It doesn't matter that
the decay time written inside the lockbox does
not participate. The theorem does not ask whether
a particular parameter /participates/, just as the
theorem does not ask whether /we know the value of/ a
particular parameter.

> 3) If you believe that this would violate QM,
> then you should be able to describe a hypothetical
> experiment whose outcome would be different
> if my proposed conjecture is incorrect.

I think the experimental verification of quantum mechanics
over local reality are what you are asking for. If you
are considering scenario 2 above, then you are trying
to fix local reality by partitioning the possible worlds
finely enough that the outcome appears non-random.

I don't think local reality is fixable.

> It seems to me that the best argument against
> what I am suggesting is that it is not parsimonious,
> but I'm not even sure that such a position holds up.
> As I said in the first place, this is a question
> of language and philosophy, not physics. I find
> the use of decay as the knee-jerk example to explain
> randomness to be facile.

If what you describe is only a question of
language and philosophy, then maybe my first
interpretation is the correct one. If that is so,
then the point you are making is that it is
possible to change the meaning of
"quantum randomness" so that what you have
turned it into does not exist.
I don't find that a very interesting point.

Jim Burns
From: tg on
On Nov 15, 11:39 pm, Jim Burns <burns...(a)osu.edu> wrote:
> [...]
> to fix local reality by partitioning the possible worlds
> finely enough that the outcome appears non-random.
>
> I don't think local reality is fixable.
>
> > It seems to me that the best argument against
> > what I am suggesting is that it is not parsimonious,
> > but I'm not even sure that such a position holds up.
> > As I said in the first place, this is a question
> > of language and philosophy, not physics. I find
> > the use of decay as the knee-jerk example to explain
> > randomness to be facile.
>
> If what you describe is only a question of
> language and philosophy, then maybe my first
> interpretation is the correct one. If that is so,
> then the point you are making is that it is
> possible to change the meaning of
> "quantum randomness" so that what you have
> turned it into does not exist.
> I don't find that a very interesting point.

Yeah, option 3, and I also think you have been over-consuming
caffeinated beverages or something. I always wonder about people who
can't read through a couple of short paragraphs before rambling on
with a reply that is nowhere near the point.

-tg
From: haiku jones on
On Nov 14, 8:20 pm, John Jones <jonescard...(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
> haiku jones wrote:
> >> I don't know what this post is about.
>
> > You don't?  I thought it was pretty straightforward.
>
> > You suggested that quantum events only look
> > random because the  tiny scale prevents
> > us from seeing behind the scenes, observing
> > the machinery that causes radioactive decay
> > to be caused in a non-random manner.
>
> > I replied that quantum mechanics had, over the
> > last thirty years or so, dealt with exactly that
> > possibility, and the conclusion had been reached
> > that it was not possible that any such machinery
> > exists.  Not even as a theoretical abstraction.
>
> You made no such argument here

Sure did. See above.

>. Nor was any argument forthcoming from
> elsewhere.
>

> > And just for grins, I replied to your ".wasn't the
> > scientific term "random" invented to support
> > a verbal fantasy world created by the quantum
> > physicists?" by pointing out that the word
> > "random" was in use, with its present meaning,
> > two and a half centuries before the discovery
> > of quantum mechanics.
>
> > Haiku Jones
>
> Yes and I said that the former use bore no relation to the Quantum use.

Sure did.

Haiku Jones
From: haiku jones on
On Nov 15, 2:13 pm, John Jones <jonescard...(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > apply to decaying atoms as well as pairs of
> > gamma rays. Personally, I find experimental
> > results that dodge our constraints but only
> > when we can't see them doing so to be considerably
> > less intuitive than the loss of local reality.
>
> > Perhaps a better answer would be to point out
> > that the way physics proceeds, the way science
> > proceeds is to generalize alleged laws to the
> > utmost extent ("Energy is conserved everywhere
> > in the universe.") and then wait for contradictions
> > to pour in from the experimentalists. ("But, wait!
> > I've got some radium that behaves very oddly.")
> > Is there some contradiction, some troubling
> > experimental result that makes it necessary to
> > suppose there is this 'hidden variable'?
>
> > Jim Burns
>
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell%27s_theorem#Importance_of_the_theorem
>
> The idea of a hidden variable is a grammatical consequence of any

Alas, the universe disagrees.

Haiku Jones