From: John Jones on
Quantum mechanics says that there is no way to predict when an atom will
decay radioactively.

This doesn't mean that the decay is random. We wouldn't, for example,
claim that a person who suddenly appears from behind a bus is exhibiting
a new, mysterious, physical state called randomness.

So! - why would we say that the appearance of an outcome of hidden
quantum events is random? Quantum events are necessarily hidden because
physical space itself hides very small objects - but they are still only
"hidden", like the man behind the bus.

I rest my case. But ponder this...wasn't the scientific term "random"
invented to support a verbal fantasy world created by the quantum
physicists? It's understandable. After all, every discipline, including
maths, likes to have its own non-religious menagerie of supernatural
objects and processes, where infinities abound far beyond the mortal
realms of grammar and sense.
From: haiku jones on
On Nov 13, 7:56 am, John Jones <jonescard...(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
> Quantum mechanics says that there is no way to predict when an atom will
> decay radioactively.
>
> This doesn't mean that the decay is random. We wouldn't, for example,
> claim that a person who suddenly appears from behind a bus is exhibiting
> a new, mysterious, physical state called randomness.
>
> So! - why would we say that the appearance of an outcome of hidden
> quantum events is random? Quantum events are necessarily hidden because
> physical space itself hides very small objects - but they are still only
> "hidden", like the man behind the bus.

I take it you didn't really read my post, in which I discussed exactly
this idea -- what physicists call "local hidden variables" --
and how the general consensus among quantum physicists
is that the experimental investigations of Bell's inequality
have led to the conclusion that local hidden variables --
again, exactly the sort of thing you suggest -- are not
possible.

Could this change some day? Is our current conception
of such things not final?

I am utterly open to such new insights. But until then,
your pitching an idea which had been debated for
the better part of a century, and is currently considered
to be bogus by most (but not all) workers in the field, is not
the sort of thing that will change my mind.

> I rest my case. But ponder this...wasn't the scientific term "random"
> invented to support a verbal fantasy world created by the quantum
> physicists?

Given that the OED gives examples of "random", meaning
exactly what it does today, dating back to the mid 17th
century, I'm going to say "no".

> It's understandable.

Not to mention "bogus".

Haiku Jones

From: John Stafford on
In article <hdjs2g$tbv$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
John Jones <jonescardiff(a)btinternet.com> wrote:

> Quantum mechanics says that there is no way to predict when an atom will
> decay radioactively.
>
> This doesn't mean that the decay is random. We wouldn't, for example,
> claim that a person who suddenly appears from behind a bus is exhibiting
> a new, mysterious, physical state called randomness.

Who claimed that random was mysterious? And too bad about that analogy
to the bus and man.

> So! - why would we say that the appearance of an outcome of hidden
> quantum events is random? Quantum events are necessarily hidden because
> physical space itself hides very small objects - but they are still only
> "hidden", like the man behind the bus.

Scale is not important to randomness.

> I rest my case.

Upon what?
From: *Anarcissie* on
On Nov 13, 11:16 am, John Stafford <n...(a)droffats.net> wrote:
> In article <hdjs2g$tb...(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
>  John Jones <jonescard...(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> > Quantum mechanics says that there is no way to predict when an atom will
> > decay radioactively.
>
> > This doesn't mean that the decay is random. We wouldn't, for example,
> > claim that a person who suddenly appears from behind a bus is exhibiting
> > a new, mysterious, physical state called randomness.
>
> Who claimed that random was mysterious? And too bad about that analogy
> to the bus and man.
>
> > So! - why would we say that the appearance of an outcome of hidden
> > quantum events is random? Quantum events are necessarily hidden because
> > physical space itself hides very small objects - but they are still only
> > "hidden", like the man behind the bus.
>
> Scale is not important to randomness.
>
> > I rest my case.
>
> Upon what?

It was my understanding that the hidden-variable thing had
been pretty well disposed of a long time ago.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_variable_theory

Of course, I suppose it could be like the gods. We don't
see any, but there might be one under the bed when we're
not looking. Same with hidden variables, I imagine.
From: Nomen Publicus on
John Jones <jonescardiff(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
> Quantum mechanics says that there is no way to predict when an atom will
> decay radioactively.
>
> This doesn't mean that the decay is random. We wouldn't, for example,
> claim that a person who suddenly appears from behind a bus is exhibiting
> a new, mysterious, physical state called randomness.
>
> So! - why would we say that the appearance of an outcome of hidden
> quantum events is random? Quantum events are necessarily hidden because
> physical space itself hides very small objects - but they are still only
> "hidden", like the man behind the bus.
>
> I rest my case. But ponder this...wasn't the scientific term "random"
> invented to support a verbal fantasy world created by the quantum
> physicists?

No. It's quite easy to discover the history of of probability and randomness
on the web, so why make wild, inaccurate assumptions?

--
Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -- Mark Twain