From: Clay on
How do I set up a RAMDRIVE in WindowsXP? I'm familiar with the setup in
Windows 98 but is there a different XP requirement for setting up a ramdrive?

I tried using my familiar command from W98 in CONFIG.NT in XP but the
ramdrive didn't set up.
From: Wesley Vogel on
Ramdrive.sys does not exist on XP.

The way I understand it, ramdrive.sys didn't even work in Windows ME.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:787F0A87-3443-4C2F-80D7-2B195D232485(a)microsoft.com,
Clay <Clay(a)discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
Clay wrote:

> How do I set up a RAMDRIVE in WindowsXP? I'm familiar with the setup
> in Windows 98 but is there a different XP requirement for setting up
> a ramdrive?
>
> I tried using my familiar command from W98 in CONFIG.NT in XP but the
> ramdrive didn't set up.

There is third-party software available to do this, but let me ask you what
your purpose is in doing this. Except for an unusual special situation,
using a RAM drive in Wiondows is counterproductive. Most people who try to
do this do so because of a misunderstanding of how memory management works.

Please reply to the newsgroup

From: Stan Brown on
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 08:27:07 -0800 from Clay
<Clay(a)discussions.microsoft.com>:
> How do I set up a RAMDRIVE in WindowsXP? I'm familiar with the setup in
> Windows 98 but is there a different XP requirement for setting up a ramdrive?

The first question is not How but Why.

Think long and hard about this. In DOS and early Windows versions,
the rationale for a RAM drive was that there was RAM going unused.
But Win XP (and other recent versions) make use of much more memory,
if it's available. Therefore there's little or no unused memory. So
if you set up a RAM drive, essentially you're making Windows handle
memory in a less efficient manner, and you may even hurt the overall
performance.

The only possible justification I can see for a RAM drive nowadays is
to have temporary files that get deleted automatically at shutdown.
You can accomplish the same thing by dedicating a directory and then
adding a
del %MYSPECIALDIRECTORY%
command to the shutdown script.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
From: DP on

OT and just out of curiousity: Where would one find the shutdown script?