From: vizslaman on
At random times, my computer plays an "Explosion" sound. I cannot identify a
specific activity which triggers it. It even happens at night. I am running
XP Pro 2002 Ser pack 3 upgraded from Media Center which was on my computer
when purchased. It is a Dell Dimension E521. It is driving me crazy and
causes my wife to almost jump out of her skin if the speaker volume happens
to be up too high when it happens. How do I find it, and how do I stop it?
Help!
--
John 3:16
From: Elmo on
vizslaman wrote:
> At random times, my computer plays an "Explosion" sound. I cannot identify a
> specific activity which triggers it. It even happens at night. I am running
> XP Pro Sp 3 upgraded from Media Center which was on my computer
> when purchased. It is a Dell Dimension E521. It is driving me crazy and
> causes my wife to almost jump out of her skin if the speaker volume happens
> to be up too high when it happens. How do I find it, and how do I stop it?
> Help!

Here are a few things I would try:

- Open Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Sounds tab, and test
each event for the sound. If found, change the sound, or set to "None".

- Do a search of the hard drives for *.wav Once you've completed the
search, play each sound with a double-click till you find the offending
sound. What folder is it contained in? That might help identify the
program responsible for the sound.

- Download, install, update and run these:

Malwarebytes© Corporation

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

--
Joe =o)
From: Neil Harrington on
I have the same thing on one of my WinXP Home SP3 computers, sounds like
EXACTLY the same thing from your description, and I have no idea why
either -- other than the likelihood that it's some kind of malware that got
on that computer somehow. But scanning the whole system with McAfee Security
software doesn't find anything. There didn't seem to be any pattern, any
rhyme or reason to when or under what circumstances the "explosion" sound
would occur.

It doesn't bother me because I don't use that computer anymore -- it was
getting a bit old anyway so I've set it aside and will rebuild it from
scratch with a new motherboard, etc., when I get around to it. But I'll be
very interested to know if you discover what the cause is and/or what has to
be done to fix it, since if it happened to one of my machines, and yours, it
seems like something that may very well happen again. So I'll be following
this subject here.

From: Elmo on
vizslaman wrote:
> At random times, my computer plays an "Explosion" sound. I cannot identify a
> specific activity which triggers it. It even happens at night. I am running
> XP Pro 2002 SP 3 upgraded from Media Center which was on my computer
> when purchased. It is a Dell Dimension E521. It is driving me crazy and
> causes my wife to almost jump out of her skin if the speaker volume happens
> to be up too high when it happens. How do I find it, and how do I stop it?
> Help!

Do you have AIM, MSN Messenger, iChat, or other messaging? If so, maybe
one of those sounds is an explosion..

12 common sound extensions to look for on your hard drive:

http://www.fileinfo.net/filetypes/audio

--
Joe =o)
From: Paul on
Neil Harrington wrote:
> I have the same thing on one of my WinXP Home SP3 computers, sounds like
> EXACTLY the same thing from your description, and I have no idea why
> either -- other than the likelihood that it's some kind of malware that got
> on that computer somehow. But scanning the whole system with McAfee Security
> software doesn't find anything. There didn't seem to be any pattern, any
> rhyme or reason to when or under what circumstances the "explosion" sound
> would occur.
>
> It doesn't bother me because I don't use that computer anymore -- it was
> getting a bit old anyway so I've set it aside and will rebuild it from
> scratch with a new motherboard, etc., when I get around to it. But I'll be
> very interested to know if you discover what the cause is and/or what has to
> be done to fix it, since if it happened to one of my machines, and yours, it
> seems like something that may very well happen again. So I'll be following
> this subject here.

Maybe the explosion is a "gunshot" ? An AV application just quarantined some
malware ?

This is what I heard while using Kaspersky. The Squealing Pig sound. And nothing
in the documentation to state it was coming from Kaspersky and not from malware.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23285922-Sophos-Windows-7-vulnerable-to-8-out-of-10-viruses~start=20

"I vote for the old Kasperksy Squealing Pig sound for anytime you turn off UAC.
That damn thing woke me up at 4 am many times when my PC was set to perform
a system scan and I forgot to turn off my speakers. Nothing like an angry
squealing pig to wake you up at 4 am."

I'd compare what AV software is present on the two machines with the gunshot/explosion
sound. I vote for an AV making the sound, rather than malware.

Paul