From: James Silverton on
Hello All!

I have been using a sort on a helper column of random numbers [generated
by RAND() ] to randomize a data set but I notice that the column of
random numbers changes when I do the sort. Can any expert tell me if the
sort or the recalculation occurs first?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

From: Chip Pearson on
The sort comes first. You can see this by using a small list of data.
For example, in A1:A4 enter 1, 2, 3, and 4, and in B1:B4 enter
=RAND(). Next, copy the values in B1:B4 to D1:D4. Copy/paste as
values only, not formulas. Now sort A1:D4 by column B. You'll see that
the order of the elements in D are sorted, and then new values are
calculated in B. The new values in B are not (necessarily) in sorted
order, but values in D are.

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional,
Excel, 1998 - 2010
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

From: James Silverton on
Chip wrote on Sat, 20 Mar 2010 10:14:11 -0500:

> Cordially,
> Chip Pearson
> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional,
> Excel, 1998 - 2010
> Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
> www.cpearson.com

> On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 10:32:40 -0400, "James Silverton"
> <not.jim.silverton(a)verizon.net> wrote:

>> Hello All!
>>
>> I have been using a sort on a helper column of random numbers
>> [generated by RAND() ] to randomize a data set but I notice
>> that the column of random numbers changes when I do the sort.
>> Can any expert tell me if the sort or the recalculation
>> occurs first?

>The sort comes first. You can see this by using a small list of
>data.......

Thanks, that's interesting.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

From: Mike H on
Hi,

The sort causes a recalculation so it comes after the sort takes place so
data will sort on the values you see in the helper column prior to the sort
taking place.

This can be verified by looking at the random numbers after the sort which
aren't in sorted order because they have changed.
--
Mike

question.

"James Silverton" wrote:

> Hello All!
>
> I have been using a sort on a helper column of random numbers [generated
> by RAND() ] to randomize a data set but I notice that the column of
> random numbers changes when I do the sort. Can any expert tell me if the
> sort or the recalculation occurs first?
>
> --
>

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland