From: Lil' Abner on
<RANT>

I just got Antivirus XP 2010 off a customer's computer. It required a
registry fix before I could even install Malwarebytes. I don't know the
official category name for all these rogue security/antivirus/antispyware
applications. Most of them can be removed; some easier than others.
Malwarebytes will remove most all of them if you can get it installed.
And, of course the customer always asks "How did I get it?" And I just
don't have an answer. The one I have now belongs to an 82 year old church
treasurer whose email consists solely of a weekly deposit report to some
other church member. His browsing amounts to going to our home town web
page http://oraniowa.com and checking the weather (weather station is on my
roof). I looked at his history and his email and these are the *only*
places he has been. He has Free Avira which is up to date. Also Windows
Defender. Windows XP SP3, up to date. SO how *did* he get it? If
Malwarebytes is capable of removing all these rogue apps, then how come no
one has come up with a real time scanner that will stop them in the first
place? I've cleaned up computers with most every kind of antivirus
including Norton, Trend Micro, Kapersky, McAfee. I don't think I ever got
one with AVG, but I doubt there's any difference.
For some reason, I've never contracted any of them on my own machine,
although I have a second (disposable) computer that I have infected on
purpose a couple of times just trying to figure it out and practice
cleaning.
I don't understand how these people get away with it. There's always a
percentage of people who fall for it and send them money. If there's an
account to receive the money, then it ought to be traceable to somebody!
I don't know if anyone has ever successfully gotten their money back from a
credit card company or not.

</RANT>

--
--- Everybody has a right to my opinion. ---