From: hadi motamedi on
Dear All
I have a working Solaris8 server that I want to make an image from its
hard drive suitable for my qemu-system-sparc on MS Windows . Because
of lack of sufficient free space, I tried to do it as the following :
#dd if=/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 bs=512 count=1572864 |gzip -c>/tmp/
solaris8.disk-pt1.gz
#dd if=/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 bs=512 count=1572864 skip=3145728|gzip -c>/
tmp/solaris8.disk-pt2.gz
And so on.
I continued this iteration up to twelve times and then the 'dd'
wouldn't work afterwards . So I decompressed all of them and
concatenated to have a big file . But my qemu cannot boot from it and
it seems that the solaris didn't give me raw access to the disk (as
suspected) . To accomplish this, can you please show me suitable raw
disk access for cloning?
Thank you
From: Thommy M. on
On 06/ 9/10 11:58 AM, hadi motamedi wrote:
> Dear All
> I have a working Solaris8 server that I want to make an image from its
> hard drive suitable for my qemu-system-sparc on MS Windows . Because
> of lack of sufficient free space, I tried to do it as the following :
> #dd if=/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 bs=512 count=1572864 |gzip -c>/tmp/
> solaris8.disk-pt1.gz
> #dd if=/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 bs=512 count=1572864 skip=3145728|gzip -c>/
> tmp/solaris8.disk-pt2.gz
> And so on.
> I continued this iteration up to twelve times and then the 'dd'
> wouldn't work afterwards . So I decompressed all of them and
> concatenated to have a big file . But my qemu cannot boot from it and
> it seems that the solaris didn't give me raw access to the disk (as
> suspected) . To accomplish this, can you please show me suitable raw
> disk access for cloning?

Wild guess, but what if you read from the raw device? /dev/rdsk/c0...
From: hadi motamedi on
> Wild guess, but what if you read from the raw device? /dev/rdsk/c0...
It cannot produce a bootable disk image.