From: Chrom_ on
Hi Guys,

I'm a great fan of the ReSIDfp engine and I use it with great pleasure
under VICE (Linux compiled from sources by me).

Yesterday I've noticed with big surprise that the digitized voices
perform _very_ poorly with ReSIDfp. For instance, try to load
Impossibile Mission 2 and listen to the intro ("Another visitor, stay
a while, stay Forever") with ReSID and then listen again with ReSIDfp.
The former sounds well, the second is almost muted. I've noticed the
same problem with any digitized sound (try IK+ fighters voices and
punch sound effect during combat for example).

Being very puzzled, I tried to rebuild VICE 2.1, but the problem
persisted. I tried on another PC and I got the same ugly output. I
tried to switch between different SID models emulation, still using
ReSIDfp, switching on and off the filters, but nothing helped. I
didn't try the Windows version though. Please notice that if you wanna
perform the same test, when you switch from a SID model to the other,
check that ReSIDfp is still selected in the emulation engine menu, as
it can switch back to ReSID that doesn't show the problem.

I can provide audio samples if anyone wants.

Is there any explanation for that? Any clue? Anybody experiencing the
same on Win or Linux? Shall we open a bug on the VICE/ReSIDfp support
board?

Regards,
Mauro_
From: alankila on
On Oct 13, 1:30 pm, Chrom_ <maurogra...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm a great fan of the ReSIDfp engine and I use it with great pleasure
> under VICE (Linux compiled from sources by me).
>
> Yesterday I've noticed with big surprise that the digitized voices
> perform _very_ poorly with ReSIDfp. For instance, try to load
> Impossibile Mission 2 and listen to the intro ("Another visitor, stay
> a while, stay Forever") with ReSID and then listen again with ReSIDfp.
> The former sounds well, the second is almost muted. I've noticed the
> same problem with any digitized sound (try IK+ fighters voices and
> punch sound effect during combat for example).
>
> Being very puzzled, I tried to rebuild VICE 2.1, but the problem
> persisted. I tried on another PC and I got the same ugly output. I
> tried to switch between different SID models emulation, still using
> ReSIDfp, switching on and off the filters, but nothing helped. I
> didn't try the Windows version though. Please notice that if you wanna
> perform the same test, when you switch from a SID model to the other,
> check that ReSIDfp is still selected in the emulation engine menu, as
> it can switch back to ReSID that doesn't show the problem.

Sounds like perhaps the DC offset of SID voices is too low for your
tastes.
I'll take a look: I remember I turned these down because the digis
tended to
drown the SID channels and there's some chip-to-chip variation as
well, so
I thought I'd get away with it!

While this is being said, the ultimate arbiter is always the same: how
it sounds
like on a real C64. While it's hard to get exactly the same result,
generally
speaking, we can strive for a reasonable approximation.

VICE's resid-fp hasn't had an update from me for a long time. I have
been
developing resid-fp mostly on Java, in a project called jsidplay2.

--
Antti
From: Chrom_ on
Antti,

Thanks a lot for your support.
The digi is almost muted on my "testbench". Please let me know if I
can provide you with some more useful feedback.
Keep up the great work!

Mauro

From: Chrom_ on
As anticipated, I've takes sound samples to show you the bug:

http://www.2shared.com/file/8416879/a3133ae1/im2.html
In this mp3 you can hear the Impossible mission 2 digi voice intro
with ReSID

http://www.2shared.com/file/8416905/e4268a3a/im2fp.html
In this file you can hear the same recording made with ReSID-fp. The
initial digital speech is completely muted and the rest of the song is
quite distorted (probably sing digital sounds too?)

My setup is as follows:
Ubuntu Linux 9.04, fully patched as of 13/10/2009
Vice 2.1, built from sources
Vice audio settings: filter emulation on, emulated SID model 6581
(old). Same settings havebeen used for both the recordings, first
using the ReSID engine, then ReSID-fp.

Thanks for the feedback and opinions you will provide as usual!

Mauro
From: Joe Forster/STA on
I _think_ the reason for this problem is that the speech was written
for (= is better heard on) old SID's but the music for new ones. Also,
as far as I remember, the title music of Impossible Mission 2 has
major compatibility problems with all kinds of settings in Sidplay2/w,
as well: it is tricky to configure the player for perfect playback and
those configuration settings are not good for playing most other SID's
either.