From: Grasavong on
I need a form to only be read-only once all the fields in the form have been
completed to allow users to go back and view the history, but not edit. Would
that require some sort of event procedure involving the AfterUpdate option?
If so, what would I need to do to start?

Thank you.
From: Linq Adams via AccessMonster.com on
First off you need to start using correct terms; you're talking about
***records*** here, not ***forms***.

A forms contains multiple records.

Next, what exactly constitutes a "completed" record? When every single field
in the record has data? When certain fields have data? When a checkbox is
ticked? Once the record has been saved?

Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003

From: Grasavong on
Basically, I have created a form. There are multiple records in the form that
has to be populated. Once ALL those records have been populated, I want that
record to be read-only.

From: John W. Vinson on
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 13:41:02 -0800, Grasavong
<Grasavong(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Basically, I have created a form. There are multiple records in the form that
>has to be populated. Once ALL those records have been populated, I want that
>record to be read-only.

Forms do not contain records.

Forms are dynamic windows, NOT data repositories.

The records are stored in Tables, and only in Tables.

If you could describe your Tables, how (if at all) they are related, and what
constitutes "completion" - in terms of fields and records in your tables -
someone might be able to help.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Grasavong on
There are two people contradicting each other.

One person says "A form contains multiple records"
Another person says "Forms do not contain records"

I would like my question answered, if possible, and it can't, just please
let me know despite some incorrect terminology. This is what I did,
step-by-step:

1) I created a table with multiple fields. Each field is populated with data
which eventually becomes a record. From that, 2)I created a form where I
choose which fields to put into my form. From there, 3) users use the form to
populate their data into the fields, which is stored in the table.

In the end, when ALL the fields in THAT form have been completed, the ones I
CHOSE to be placed in that form, I want the form to be read-only. Maybe
read-only is not the correct term, disabled may be the correct term. Either
way, can I do it this way by using some AfterUpdate even Procedure? If so,
how? Can only one record be disabled without affecting the other records?

That's the way I'd like the form to work.
Thank you.