From: Cary Shultz on
Good evening!

I am thinking that read receipts are more an Outlook issue than an Exchange
issue but wanted to ask here.

We have a client who is secretly having us forward all e-mails sent to
"PersonX" forwarded to the CEO (and then sent - via rule - to a specific
sub-folder of his Inbox). Additionally, I have set up a Transport Rule to
forward all outbound e-mails that "PersonX" sends to the CEO.

The rule is very basic....

1) check messages when they arrive
2) from people or distribution list (then select "PersonX")
3) move it to the specific folder (then navigate to the sub-folder that I
created)
4) no exceptions
5) enable rule | run now

Two questions:

1) For the outbound e-mails (that are being forwarded to the CEO via the
Transport Rule) - will the rule that I sent work (read: forward to the
sub-folder that I created)?
2) what happens if the user - who is suspicious that something is going on -
requests a Read Receipt? If the CEO is not one of the people to whom the
original e-mail is sent, yet she gets a read receipt from him are we busted?

Thanks,

Cary

From: Ed Crowley [MVP] on
You're right. They are.
1) It should. And that rule should fire server-side, before Outlook sees
the message.
2) Tell the CEO to read the message in the preview pane (and configure
Tools > Options > Other > Reading Pane to block read receipts) or load one
of those add-ons to Outlook that block read receipts. Forwarded messages
are new messages and don't carry the original read receipt request, so you
should be safe there.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

From: Cary Shultz on
Ed,

As always, Thank you. We have already turned off the read receipts for
the CEO (just out of GP). Thanks!

Cary

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" <curspice(a)nospam.net> wrote in message
> You're right. They are.
> 1) It should. And that rule should fire server-side, before Outlook sees
> the message.
> 2) Tell the CEO to read the message in the preview pane (and configure
> Tools > Options > Other > Reading Pane to block read receipts) or load one
> of those add-ons to Outlook that block read receipts. Forwarded messages
> are new messages and don't carry the original read receipt request, so you
> should be safe there.
> --
> Ed Crowley MVP
> "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
> .
>
> "Cary Shultz" <cshultz(a)nospam.outsourceit.com> wrote in message
>> Good evening!
>>
>> I am thinking that read receipts are more an Outlook issue than an
>> Exchange issue but wanted to ask here.
>>
>> We have a client who is secretly having us forward all e-mails sent to
>> "PersonX" forwarded to the CEO (and then sent - via rule - to a specific
>> sub-folder of his Inbox). Additionally, I have set up a Transport Rule
>> to forward all outbound e-mails that "PersonX" sends to the CEO.
>>
>> The rule is very basic....
>>
>> 1) check messages when they arrive
>> 2) from people or distribution list (then select "PersonX")
>> 3) move it to the specific folder (then navigate to the sub-folder that I
>> created)
>> 4) no exceptions
>> 5) enable rule | run now
>>

>> Two questions:
>>
>> 1) For the outbound e-mails (that are being forwarded to the CEO via the
>> Transport Rule) - will the rule that I sent work (read: forward to the
>> sub-folder that I created)?
>> 2) what happens if the user - who is suspicious that something is going
>> on - requests a Read Receipt? If the CEO is not one of the people to
>> whom the original e-mail is sent, yet she gets a read receipt from him
>> are we busted?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Cary

Pages: 1
Prev: Exchnage 2010 mailbox database name
Next: BIS