From: Nigel Bufton on
The AppData folder is by far the best method because it permits per-user
settings and is included in "Documents & Settings" backups and in Windows
Easy Transfer.

Personally, I have a dislike for programs that use Program Files - this
folder is intended for files that are installed, which are easily
re-creatable by re-install.

Following a recent crash, I was extremely annoyed to find that a couple of
apps had put all my settings in their Program Files folders. These were not
on my backups - and neither should they need to be as merely reinstalling
the program should recreate the content of Program Files folder as it should
be.

Nigel

From: mayayana on

> Personally, I have a dislike for programs that use Program Files - this
> folder is intended for files that are installed, which are easily
> re-creatable by re-install.
>
> Following a recent crash, I was extremely annoyed to
> find that a couple of
> apps had put all my settings in their Program
> Files folders. These were not
> on my backups - and neither should they need to be

Most software used to save in Program Files. A lot of
software still does. (I use both Firefox and K-Meleon,
for instance. They're very similar, but the former leaves
settings in app data when it uninstalls -- against my
wishes -- while the latter puts everything into the program
folder.)

I'm sure you know the history as well as I do, and you
should certainly know the software that you're using, so if
your backup was faulty then it can only be due to stubborn
contrariness on your part.

I like to use a dedicated partition for backup of various
things: coding, website files, email, various program
settings.... I was annoyed when I discovered that OE
was storing my email in app data, under a superfluous
folder named with a GUID, no less. :) But so what? That's
the way it works. If I fail to backup my email because
I "don't believe in using the app data folder" then there's
only myself to blame.

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"mayayana" <mayayana(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

>> Following a recent crash, I was extremely annoyed to
>> find that a couple of
>> apps had put all my settings in their Program
>> Files folders. These were not
>> on my backups - and neither should they need to be
>
> Most software used to save in Program Files. A lot of
>software still does.

And since Windows 2000 they shouldn't be.

> I'm sure you know the history as well as I do, and you
>should certainly know the software that you're using, so if
>your backup was faulty then it can only be due to stubborn
>contrariness on your part.

No, that software that used Program Files for settings was wrong and
has been wrong for ten years now.

Clearly though we'll agree to disagree.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: mayayana on

> No, that software that used Program Files for settings was wrong and
> has been wrong for ten years now.
>
> Clearly though we'll agree to disagree.

"Wrong". That's exactly the word I said some people
would use. Given the corporate-culture chauvinism
implied by that word, I suppose I should consider
it quite gracious that you're so flexible as to "agree
to disagree". :)