From: MikeD on

"Dennis Rose" <DennisRose(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Helmut,
>
> Thanks for the help. This would probably be the best solution except I
> deal
> with customers that don't want to change anything on their end and like to
> have it both ways. I still think I need to be able to read their email
> file
> directly.

And how do THEY feel about that? Not too many people, most likely NO people
in their right minds, are going to like you reading their emails. It's much
better for them to save the emails to a file and your program reads the
file.

--
Mike

From: Helmut Meukel on
"MikeD" <nobody(a)nowhere.edu> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> "Dennis Rose" <DennisRose(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Helmut,
>>
>> Thanks for the help. This would probably be the best solution except I deal
>> with customers that don't want to change anything on their end and like to
>> have it both ways. I still think I need to be able to read their email file
>> directly.
>
> And how do THEY feel about that? Not too many people, most likely NO people in
> their right minds, are going to like you reading their emails. It's much
> better for them to save the emails to a file and your program reads the file.
>
> --
> Mike

Dennis,

to satisfy my curiosity:
Could you answer Nobody's question "What's generating these orders?"

And Mike, reading those emails mightn't be an issue of possible hurt
feelings. In my project, 8 years ago we programmed an order entry program
that created the emails and sent those mails to an especially created mail
account. Their mail server then dumped all mails into the folder. From there
one of our programs read the orders and stored the data in a database.

IIRC, their argument for this appoach was: It's simpler (and cheaper) to set
it up this way than the other way round (They hadn't to pay for a email
fetching modul in our program).

Helmut.

From: Nobody on
"Helmut Meukel" <NoSpam(a)NoProvider.de> wrote in message
> to satisfy my curiosity:
> Could you answer Nobody's question "What's generating these orders?"

It's possible to make one web server connect to another so no email exchange
is needed. The link below shows how to send information or retrieve
information from another IP or host. A VB program could listen on that port
using Winsock, or as an ActiveX in an IIS server to receive and process the
message.

How do I read the contents of a remote web page?
http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/how-do-i-read-the-contents-of-a-remote-web-page.html

A similar thing can be done with PHP.

From: mayayana on
I haven't needed to do POP3 in the past, but it does
seem to be fairly simple. It shouldn't require anything
fancy. There used to be an article at vbip.com (VB IP
programming) )that detailed the process. Last night I
went looking at archive.org for it, since vbip is now gone.
Archive.org was responding extremely slowly and I
gave up, but that might be worth a look. Archive,org
does not store ZIP downloads of code, but they do have
articles.

I've always found it odd that so little code is written in
VB for network operations. People seem to use wrappers
like CDO, or even Outlook, for email. And they use IE
wrapper APIs for downloading. Yet direct coding for that
stuff is not really very complex.
One thing that might be worth
a try is to check planetsourcecode.com. A quick search
on "pop3" turns up several email projects.

From: Dennis Rose on
The "Orders" are actually "Prospective customers" asking for info on a
product. We get prospect inquiries from individuals and also "Groups of
Inquiry Prospects" sent to us from other companies, all at the same email
address.

I need to be able to extract "Name, Addr, Phone, etc" info from these emails
and build a Prospect file using my VB program.

The companies that send us groups of Prospect by email could probably just
as easily send us a file, but that still leaves the need to read and process
Prospect setup for individuals that send us emails. When I say "Us" I really
mean my customers that I do processing for.

Of the solutions suggested above, which do you think would do the best job
for this application?

Thanks again for your help!!

"mayayana" wrote:

> I haven't needed to do POP3 in the past, but it does
> seem to be fairly simple. It shouldn't require anything
> fancy. There used to be an article at vbip.com (VB IP
> programming) )that detailed the process. Last night I
> went looking at archive.org for it, since vbip is now gone.
> Archive.org was responding extremely slowly and I
> gave up, but that might be worth a look. Archive,org
> does not store ZIP downloads of code, but they do have
> articles.
>
> I've always found it odd that so little code is written in
> VB for network operations. People seem to use wrappers
> like CDO, or even Outlook, for email. And they use IE
> wrapper APIs for downloading. Yet direct coding for that
> stuff is not really very complex.
> One thing that might be worth
> a try is to check planetsourcecode.com. A quick search
> on "pop3" turns up several email projects.
>

> > Using a VB5 application, I need code or a dll that will read EMails
> directed
> > to a specific email address (in a company that has several email
> addresses),
> > parse thru the Emails and extract certain info (such as Order Num,
> shipping
> > address etc.).
> >
> > I know how to parse the file, extract info and build another file from
> this
> > data, but I don't know how to automatically read emails from a server
> without
> > using Outlook or Outlook Express.
> >
> > I need a standalone program that doesn't rely on Outlook or OE. I have
> been
> > very happy with the vbSendMaill dll used to send emails automatically
> that
> > you guys suggested. Now I need to read Emails automatically.
> >
> > I found numerous possibilities on Google, some free and some costly. What
> > would you recommend? Preferably a free solution!!
>

> .

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Improving Error Routine