From: Mayayana on
| I need to be able to extract "Name, Addr, Phone, etc" info from these
emails
| and build a Prospect file using my VB program.
|
| The companies that send us groups of Prospect by email could probably just
| as easily send us a file, but that still leaves the need to read and
process
| Prospect setup for individuals that send us emails. When I say "Us" I
really
| mean my customers that I do processing for.
|
| Of the solutions suggested above, which do you think would do the best job
| for this application?

Your first post said that you had the parsing taken
care of. I was assuming that downloading the email
was the part you're working on.

I guess that's a matter of taste. If it were me I'd write
the code to do it dependency-free. If you don't want to
do that and you can find a free component that works,
then why not use that?

Personally I would *never* resort to reading the RFC
docs. They're very technical and poorly written, in the
sense that the US tax code is poorly written. It might be
accurate, but there's no excuse for making things so
hard to understand. If you write it from scratch you should
be able to find samples that will make it fairly easy. The
trick is in finding out all the particulars of how to carry
out the conversation with the server.

In terms of parsing, I'm assuming that you've got recognizable
string. In other words, that you can just search for markers
like "Shipping Address:".

From: Dennis Rose on
Downloading the email is what I need to know how to do. I can handle the
rest OK. I guess I am really asking if anyone can recommend a free dll that
does this or a code example that does this.

From: Nobody on
"Dennis Rose" <DennisRose(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The "Orders" are actually "Prospective customers" asking for info on a
> product. We get prospect inquiries from individuals and also "Groups of
> Inquiry Prospects" sent to us from other companies, all at the same email
> address.
>
> I need to be able to extract "Name, Addr, Phone, etc" info from these
> emails
> and build a Prospect file using my VB program.
>
> The companies that send us groups of Prospect by email could probably just
> as easily send us a file, but that still leaves the need to read and
> process
> Prospect setup for individuals that send us emails. When I say "Us" I
> really
> mean my customers that I do processing for.
>
> Of the solutions suggested above, which do you think would do the best job
> for this application?

The best solution in my opinion is web based. You setup form(s), and they
fill them in and the information is saved into a database(and optionally
send alert email). In case of ASP, the DB can be MS Access MDB file that you
can download later. Another option is to extract the information from the DB
without downloading it by creating another ASP script that exports the data
and display them as text. This is similar to showing search results, like
eBay search result, which can be easily parsed using VB. See this article
for how this is done:

How do I page through a recordset?
http://databases.aspfaq.com/database/how-do-i-page-through-a-recordset.html

You can make it password based, and/or IP based. Example:

Dim ip, sPassword

' IP of the client requesting the page
ip = request.servervariables("REMOTE_ADDR")

sPassword = request.form("Password")

If sPassword = "abc" And ip Like "123.45.67.*" Then
' Display the information
response.write ("Access granted.<BR>")
End If

You access the page via VB6 by using any of the many methods that download a
web page. The URL would be like this:

http://www.mysite.com/GetFormData.asp?Password=abc

Obviously, the password would be sent on the clear because this is GET
method. If you use POST method, submitted data are not part of the URL, but
the password is still sent in the clear unless you use HTTPS.

From: Mayayana on

| Downloading the email is what I need to know how to do. I can handle the
| rest OK. I guess I am really asking if anyone can recommend a free dll
that
| does this or a code example that does this.

Here's an interesting one:

http://www.ericphelps.com/pop3/index.htm

It's a compiled program, plus VB source code. And there
are links to a couple of other options near the bottom. But
I'm just looking at Google. I haven't tried the code.

There's also something here that looks like it might be
an adaptation of VBIP code:

http://blog.open-design.be/2009/01/03/visual-basic-class-pop3-without-ocx-pure-api/

Also, what about Jim Mack's suggestion of the free
Socket Wrench? I checked that out myself, but I'm
not sure. First, the download link requires superfluous
script. (One has to wonder about people who can't even
code a webpage properly.) Then the download is very big,
about 5.5 MB. And it's some sort of program installer,
rather than just an OCX with docs. Also, the licensing
terms described on their webpage were ambiguous.
(And I'm not going to install 5-6MB of who-knows-what
nonsense to find out what the actual EULA says. :)

At any rate, it looks like your guess is as good as
anyone else's at this point. No one seems to have a
favorite.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Improving Error Routine