From: Vinay on
Just wanted to check what software you'll use for newsgroups ? Google
groups is nice, but I would prefer a desktop app for offline
reading ...

Any suggestions ? I couldn't find any out there ... (I use a Mac)
From: Adam Michalik on
Vinay <vmcodes(a)gmail.com> writes:

> Just wanted to check what software you'll use for newsgroups ? Google
> groups is nice, but I would prefer a desktop app for offline
> reading ...
>
> Any suggestions ? I couldn't find any out there ... (I use a Mac)

I believe many people here use Gnus - a news client for Emacs.

--
Adam Michalik
vel Dodek Dodecki
From: D Herring on
Vinay wrote:
> Just wanted to check what software you'll use for newsgroups ? Google
> groups is nice, but I would prefer a desktop app for offline
> reading ...
>
> Any suggestions ? I couldn't find any out there ... (I use a Mac)

Thunderbird is a fairly decent, cross-platform newsreader.
If you need a feed,
http://www.eternal-september.org/
is a good choice.

- Daniel
From: Madhu on
* D Herring <hblr56$q46$1(a)news.eternal-september.org> :
Wrote on Tue, 20 Oct 2009 22:20:25 -0400:
| Vinay wrote:
|> groups is nice, but I would prefer a desktop app for offline
|> reading ...
|>
|> Any suggestions ? I couldn't find any out there ... (I use a Mac)

I've never ever used a Mac, But I've seen seen people posting with
usenet headers set to

[The reason I had to look it up was because the users (or maybe their
newsreader software) chronically post[ed] new articles in wrong
threads. This is still slightly better than other apple software which
gets rid of all Xref headers except the last, causing the recipents to
lose ALL threading information]

| Thunderbird is a fairly decent, cross-platform newsreader.

I do not think thunderbird supports offline reading. Native gnus does,
(with gnus-agent-fetch*) where it downloads articles for later reading.
But I suspect more people run a local `leafnode' instance (which is
newsserver software) and use gnus to read articles on the local machine,
than use agent.

--
Madhu
From: Vinay on
On 2009-10-20 19:20:25 -0700, D Herring <dherring(a)at.tentpost.dot.com> said:

> Vinay wrote:
>> Just wanted to check what software you'll use for newsgroups ? Google
>> groups is nice, but I would prefer a desktop app for offline
>> reading ...
>>
>> Any suggestions ? I couldn't find any out there ... (I use a Mac)
>
> Thunderbird is a fairly decent, cross-platform newsreader.
> If you need a feed,
> http://www.eternal-september.org/
> is a good choice.
>
> - Daniel

I got a copy of Unison ... Works great !

Thanks.