From: Gene Hall on
I have a Symbol Barcode scanner that I use with the serial port. I wrote
some simple VB code using MSCOMM to read the input from the scanner. Works
fine but now I need to do the same thing using a USB port. My ASSumption is
that I will need to work with the USB drivers but wondered if any of you VB
gurus have done this.

Thanks so much
Good group here.

Gene

From: Desertphile on
Gene Hall wrote:

> I have a Symbol Barcode scanner that I use with the serial port. I wrote
> some simple VB code using MSCOMM to read the input from the scanner. Works
> fine but now I need to do the same thing using a USB port. My ASSumption is
> that I will need to work with the USB drivers but wondered if any of you VB
> gurus have done this.

It depends in part on which operating system you are using.

Windows NT and Windows 2000:
http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=33181&lngWId=1

You may wish to look at:
http://www.vbcodesource.com/downloads/usbModulesFromIntel.zip

From: eschuylerTAKE on
"Gene Hall" <ghall(a)austin.rr.com> wrote:

>I have a Symbol Barcode scanner that I use with the serial port. I wrote
>some simple VB code using MSCOMM to read the input from the scanner. Works
>fine but now I need to do the same thing using a USB port. My ASSumption is
>that I will need to work with the USB drivers but wondered if any of you VB
>gurus have done this.
>
>Thanks so much
>Good group here.
>
>Gene

Gene,

You might want to check into the specs for your Symbol scanner. Many of the
USB scanners I've used do *not* require any USB programming. Some emulate
keyboard input, i.e., the barcode characters are "typed" into your
application, while others create a "virtual COM port" which is just another
serial port. If the latter is the case with you scanner, you may not need
to change anything except the COM port number.

Regards,
Eric Schuyler
From: Gene Hall on
Thanks desertphile, I'll check the links out.

Eric: A virtual comm port? I like that. I'll look into it and reply back
to the group on what I find. I'll also supply the code if it turns out
Symbol barcode scanners do this.

Thanks very much.

From: Si Ballenger on
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:48:13 GMT, "Gene Hall"
<ghall(a)austin.rr.com> wrote:

>I have a Symbol Barcode scanner that I use with the serial port. I wrote
>some simple VB code using MSCOMM to read the input from the scanner. Works
>fine but now I need to do the same thing using a USB port. My ASSumption is
>that I will need to work with the USB drivers but wondered if any of you VB
>gurus have done this.
>
>Thanks so much
>Good group here.
>
>Gene

Spend $20 or less for a good USB to serial adapter and save your
self a lot of time and trouble.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: VB4 DBGRID16
Next: Set cursor position in a RichTextBox