From: san_jack on
Hey all,
We intend to purchase the PSK modulator IP core. The core outputs the
complex data vectors (I,Q of 10/14 bit width). To realize the standard PSK
output, what operation should we perform with these output data (like
addition)?
From: Tim Wescott on
On 07/07/2010 10:55 PM, san_jack wrote:
> Hey all,
> We intend to purchase the PSK modulator IP core. The core outputs the
> complex data vectors (I,Q of 10/14 bit width). To realize the standard PSK
> output, what operation should we perform with these output data (like
> addition)?

I almost don't want to tell you, because if you have to ask then you're
almost guaranteed to run into difficulty that you'll have trouble
getting out of without external help. Fortunately you know how to find
this list, and there are a good few of us who consult on this sort of thing.

If this is really PSK at baseband, then just multiply the I and Q
outputs by sine waves at your desired carrier frequency and 90 degrees
different in phase, then add the results -- that's your output.

If you're really just modulating raw ones and zeros into PSK then the
core is a rip-off -- if you know how to use it, you know how to make
one, and the time and glue logic to jam some general-purpose thing into
your design will be larger than that for the PSK core itself.

OTOH, if it's super high-speed, or squeezes some sparkling performance
out of a FIFO, or if it's doing some fancy encoding before it modulates,
or somehow does something beyond just turning ones and zeros into a
quadrature PSK signal, then it may be worth the $$.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

From: Steve Pope on
Tim Wescott <tim(a)seemywebsite.com> wrote:

>On 07/07/2010 10:55 PM, san_jack wrote:

>> We intend to purchase the PSK modulator IP core.

>If you're really just modulating raw ones and zeros into PSK then the
>core is a rip-off -- if you know how to use it, you know how to make
>one, and the time and glue logic to jam some general-purpose thing into
>your design will be larger than that for the PSK core itself.

Yeah, hard to say what's going on here. Perhaps this core performs
some more elaborate function. Googling on PSK modulator IP cores
produces hits on several products, but they in many cases perform
something slightly elaborate, like OQPSK modulation compatible
with some standard.

Who knows, it might use something conceptually difficult like
a CORDIC algorithm.

S.
From: san_jack on
Hi Tim Wescott,

Thanks for the reply. Output of the PSK is already multiplied with the
carrier and the data sheet mentions that the output is in complex form
(a+ib). Whether the complex data will be in time domain? so that both I,Q
outputs can be added and given to DAC to realize the standard PSK output.