From: Here In Oregon on
I am a licensed Reaper user now and I have my badge and credentials.

In Reaper you have to forget a lot of the way you worked before in other
DAWs. Once you do this you can begin to understand what you thought was
insanity is actually genius. Track folders and grouping of tracks for
instance with bussing and sends is incredible.

A track in Reaper can be a MIDI and an audio track at the same time. For
instance, I have MIDI coming from my V drums and EZ drummer sees it on both
of my instances of EZ (because of my 4rth tom) and can play it in those
tracks as well. I don't have to have a MIDI track and then send it to an
audio track is what I am getting at. Same with all soft synths and
everything.

Guess which DAW you can drag and copy effects along with effects chains and
change order around while retaining your effect settings?. Yep, good guess.

The mixer and track view can be independent of one another. This is useful
if you don't want your track view cluttered with too many tracks but you
have plenty of room in the console view.
For instance, I have all of the instruments of my drums on separate tracks
in the console view but not in the track view. Also track groups in track
view can be quickly minimized to various degrees quickly. Real cool.

The current default GUI and theme has grown on me and is easy on the eyes
and looks professional. I recommend it over some the other themes because
buttons and knobs can get goofy looking.

No glitches, and no crashes in Reaper so far. I can record tracks and play
back while I am typing this post with Reaper minimized along with a couple
dozen of web sites open all the while my computer is baking bread.

My drum samples instead of taking 60 seconds to load take 5 seconds the same
time it takes Reaper to load my template and ready for rocking. Of course
that has a lot to do with my new computer build as well.

Reaper is now $60.00 but a current license based on their updates from the
past will get you another couple of years of updates. Currently 3.35 and
good to 4.99.

I found a free convolution reverb and linear EQ thanks to a wonderful and
talented local producer/engineer I just met. It is at
http://www.liquidsonics.com/home.htm

They encourage you to donate to charitable causes they support. The really
cool thing for any of you that have a CPU that is underperforming is you can
download the GPU versions and their effects run off your graphics card
processor. Yes, I said this right. Their effects can run off your graphics
card processor. Their GPU Edition Requires NVIDIA GeForce 8 series and above
for CUDA support. I tried this to see if it worked and it worked perfectly
but in real time with a convolution reverb my computer's CPU seemed much
better and had no drag.

I am going to buy a UAD card and most likely will pick up the Quad but what
has me *drooling* at the mouth is the new EMT 250. I am having dreams about
owning this reverb and effects processor and I wake up in the morning with a
wet and saturated pillow.

Okay, everybody back to work, playing/recording music, beer drinking, wine
sipping, love making or to whatever the heck it is that you do.

From: Bob Donald on

"Here In Oregon" <HIO(a)nospam.net> wrote in message
>I am a licensed Reaper user now and I have my badge and credentials.
>
> In Reaper you have to forget a lot of the way you worked before in other
> DAWs. Once you do this you can begin to understand what you thought was
> insanity is actually genius. Track folders and grouping of tracks for
> instance with bussing and sends is incredible.

Yeah, that was pretty much my experience with it. Once I cleared my mind of
my usual techniques it was amazing how everything made sense and came
together. This paragraph is so deja vu!

> Guess which DAW you can drag and copy effects along with effects chains
> and change order around while retaining your effect settings?. Yep, good
> guess.

Glennbo did a little video about this for us, just blew me away. Then I
found a bunch of tutorial video's on their website and was laughing the
whole time while shaking my head. It took me less than an hour to log on
and buy it, and I didnt get the usual hmmm'ing and hawing during the
process, I couldnt click the submit button fast enough.

> The current default GUI and theme has grown on me and is easy on the eyes
> and looks professional. I recommend it over some the other themes
> because buttons and knobs can get goofy looking.

Same here. I saw the other theme's but it worked right out of the box for
me, so I've just kept it that way.

> No glitches, and no crashes in Reaper so far. I can record tracks and
> play back while I am typing this post with Reaper minimized along with a
> couple dozen of web sites open all the while my computer is baking bread.

The only issues I had were with the dxi's, but G'bo said to use vst whenever
possible, and since then I havent had a single problem with it.

> My drum samples instead of taking 60 seconds to load take 5 seconds the
> same time it takes Reaper to load my template and ready for rocking. Of
> course that has a lot to do with my new computer build as well.

Why dont you stop the talk about the new computer already! Even though my
DAW is working fine right now, I have the urge to take this new core i7 and
drag it upstairs to the studio after reading your posts! LOL Really, I'm
glad it's working out so well for you.

> I found a free convolution reverb and linear EQ thanks to a wonderful and
> talented local producer/engineer I just met. It is at
> http://www.liquidsonics.com/home.htm

Thanks for the heads up HIO, I'll definitely check this out. I need to
spend some time getting the new midi rig set up anyways, so while I'm
there......

> I am going to buy a UAD card and most likely will pick up the Quad but
> what has me *drooling* at the mouth is the new EMT 250. I am having
> dreams about owning this reverb and effects processor and I wake up in the
> morning with a wet and saturated pillow.

I'm kicking myself for procrastinating, a buddy of mine had a UAD-1 he'd
sell me for $100 bux when he put the new quad's in, but I let it slip my
mind and now it's gone. I should have grabbed it when I got the faderport
from him. Now he has a powercore for $200 that may make it into the box.
We'll see.

From: Here In Oregon on

"Bob Donald"> Glennbo did a little video about this for us, just blew me
away. Then I
> found a bunch of tutorial video's on their website and was laughing the
> whole time while shaking my head. It took me less than an hour to log on
> and buy it, and I didnt get the usual hmmm'ing and hawing during the
> process, I couldnt click the submit button fast enough.

I don't remember his video and I had no idea there were videos at their web
site. Where are these videos? Forum somewhere?

> The only issues I had were with the dxi's, but G'bo said to use vst
> whenever possible, and since then I havent had a single problem with it.

I was told that just yesterday and missed Glennbo's post probably because
probably at the time Reaper didn't interest me. My eyes are wide open now.

> Why dont you stop the talk about the new computer already!

Yeah, I have been a bit ridiculous...you would think I just had a baby and
am a proud father or something, but if it makes you feel any better I am
building another one for the wife and will be ordering my parts within a
week. <G> I will report back <VBG>

The computer she is using in her office was built by us in 2001 and is on
its last leg and has had three legs in the grave as of late. Today we were
booking flights simultaneously but she was booking with reward mileage and I
was booking normally but we wanted to get seats on the same plane next to
each other and her computer screwed up the transaction and she had to start
all over again. It is getting real slow but was a good build since it has
lasted nine years; an early XP machine.

>> I found a free convolution reverb and linear EQ thanks to a wonderful and
> Thanks for the heads up HIO, I'll definitely check this out. I need to

Those are nice plugs and it was that producer/engineer that turned me on to
them yesterday at my studio. I am plug-in shy at the moment since I lost my
Vintage Channel and Perfect Space doesn't run well in real time. This new
one is great with input monitoring. There was a little lag with the GPU
version with input monitoring but would work great otherwise especially if
your CPU was taxed out and you are welcome Bob Donald.

> I'm kicking myself for procrastinating, a buddy of mine had a UAD-1 he'd
> sell me for $100 bux when he put the new quad's in,

A UAD-2 Solo is two and a half times more powerful than the original UAD and
only one of those cannot do much unless your freezing tracks. The Solo can
be had for 400.00 and comes with the UA 1176SE Compressor/Limiter, the
Pultec EQP-1A Program Equalizer, the RealVerb Pro Room Modeler, and the CS-1
Channel Strip plus a $50 Plug-in Voucher. A bargain in my opinion without
killing you at the bank.

From: Here In Oregon on

"Glennbo" > Cool trick that verb does. I'm playing around with the GPU
version, but my
> *temporary* GS8300 is on the low side of weak, so real time is delayed.

Cool.

Oh, your beer is *now* ready. Clink! Clink!

From: Here In Oregon on

"Ben Goldman" <BenGoldmanREMOVE(a)centurytel.net> wrote in message
> Here In Oregon wrote:
>
>> I am a licensed Reaper user now and I have my badge and credentials.
>
> Sorry, man. I hope it's not hurting much.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Ben

How did you know that badge poked me in the titty when I went to put it on?
I wanted a medal but had no chest to pin it on.