From: Chas on
I have OE se to recieve my messages at startup. This worked fine until
recently. Now I have to click Sent/Recv to get my Email. I keep trying to
reset it by goint to tools/options and checking "send and recieve messages at
startup. It may work the next time I boot up then quit. When I go back to
options and check the check mark in the check box has disappeared. I keep
resetting it but it won't stay on. How can I fix this? I am running Windows
XP w/SP3. Incidently OE is very slow starting up.
From: Bruce Hagen on
Settings that become unchecked, or do not stick, may be caused by one or
more of the following programs. There are probably others that will do it
as well.

Ad-Aware's Ad-Watch
F-Secure Internet Security 2007
IBM Access Connections
McAfee VirusScan and/or Antispyware
Nod32
Norton Anti-Virus
SpywareBlaster
Spybot Tea Timer
SpySweeper
Spyware Doctor
CounterSpy
AVG Anti-Spyware
Windows Defender
Zone Alarm (Free, Pro, & Security Suite).

******************************
If none of the above applies, try a new identity next.

You may have a damaged identity especially if it is the default Main
Identity. File | Identity | Add New Identity. Create a new one and test
it. If all is well, you can import your messages and Address Book from the
old identity and delete it.

Note: Do not use the word Main in the name of the new identity.

How to Create and Use Identities in Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=209169

An Outlook Express basic repair kit:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/oerepair.mspx#EHH

****************************
For slow starting.

Performance Problems:
http://www.insideoe.com/problems/performance.htm

General precautions for Outlook Express:

Do not archive mail in the Inbox or Sent Items. Create your own user
defined folders and move the messages you wish to save to them. Empty
Deleted Items folder daily. Although dbx files have a theoretical capacity
of 2GB, I recommend about a 300MB max for less chance of corruption.

Information about the maximum file size of the .dbx files that are used by
Outlook Express:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=903095

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything
until the compacting is completed.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
layer of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems
such as time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program
will continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

And backup often.

Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB Freeware)
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]
Imperial Beach, CA

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of third-party
applications may be disallowing the changes from "sticking." These include
anti-spyware applications (e.g., Ad-aware's Ad-Watch, Spybot Tea Timer,
SpywareBlaster, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, CounterSpy, WinPatrol, etc),
anti-virus applications & security suites (Norton, McAfee, ESET/NOD32,
Kasperky, Trend Micro, etc.), and third-party firewalls (e.g., Zone Alarm,
etc.).

Note that temporarily disabling the application(s) or rebooting into Safe
Mode may not disable the application's system protections.