From: slate_leeper on
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:09:20 -0400, slate_leeper
<bycy-r0bj(a)spamex.com> wrote:

>This morning when I first started Firefox, my proxy server told me I
>was receiving several files, including an html page and a few image
>files. I had just started Firefox, and had not entered any URL or
>clicked any bookmark or link. Firefox did not display the page or any
>images. The REALLY strange part - the proxy says that the IP address
>the files are coming from is my own IP address. This has happened each
>time I restarted Firefox.
>
>? What the hey?
>

>-danz-

The html page is being generated and sent by a Firefox addon called
Track Me Not. One of it's options is to produce a log. Another is to
show what phrases are currently being used for queries. Apparently it
does this via html, and sends it from me to me.

Just for further information - things that connect on browser startup:

The NoScript addon connects to secure.informaction.com for XPI
scripting.

Firefox or one of the addons connects to ocsp.godaddy.com for SSL
certificate data.

-dan z-

Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.
Join or donate to the NRA today!
http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp?campaignid=XR014887

The true measure of a people's freedom is whether they are armed or not. - Aristotle
From: Mike Easter on
slate_leeper wrote:

> The html page is being generated and sent by a Firefox addon called
> Track Me Not.

If I had installed something as weird as TrackMeNot, I think I would
remember it.

But thanks for the feedback anyway.

Bruce Schneier's blog on TrackMeNot 2006 Aug --
http://peek.snipr.com/103oac ... Let's count the ways this doesn't work.
.... it wastes a whole lot of bandwidth. A query every twelve seconds
translates into 2,400 queries a day, assuming an eight-hour workday. A
typical Google response is about 25K, so we're talking 60 megabytes of
additional traffic daily. ... The way serious people protect their
web-searching privacy is through anonymization.

--
Mike Easter

Pages: 1
Prev: Receiving files from myself?