From: slate_leeper on
This morning when I first started Firefox, my proxy server told me I
was receiving several files, including an html page and a few image
files. I had just started Firefox, and had not entered any URL or
clicked any bookmark or link. Firefox did not display the page or any
images. The REALLY strange part - the proxy says that the IP address
the files are coming from is my own IP address. This has happened each
time I restarted Firefox.

? What the hey?

-danz-

Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.
Join or donate to the NRA today!
http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp?campaignid=XR014887

The true measure of a people's freedom is whether they are armed or not. - Aristotle
From: Mike Easter on
slate_leeper wrote:
> This morning when I first started Firefox, my proxy server

Exactly what does 'my proxy server' mean in this context?

Define what your proxy server is and does for you.

--
Mike Easter
From: slate_leeper on
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 09:43:25 -0700, Mike Easter <MikeE(a)ster.invalid>
wrote:

>I would say that your browser has been hijacked and the ware is trying
>to put its own content (from your system) into the browser display.

I have, and have run, MalWareBytes. Spybot, Avira AntiVirus, and
Microsoft Malicious Software Tool. All have found nothing. Any
suggestions? Browser is Firefox with NoScript.

By the way, it didn't do it this morning.

From: Mike Easter on
slate_leeper wrote:
> Mike Easter

>> I would say that your browser has been hijacked and the ware is trying
>> to put its own content (from your system) into the browser display.

> I have, and have run, MalWareBytes. Spybot, Avira AntiVirus, and
> Microsoft Malicious Software Tool. All have found nothing. Any
> suggestions? Browser is Firefox with NoScript.
>
> By the way, it didn't do it this morning.

The site I usually recommend to sanitize is this one
http://www.techspot.com/vb/menu28.html Virus and Malware Removal

I like the strategy and the rigor with which the helpers are vetted.

A much simpler approach that might work for some situations such as
yours is to just go to a HiJackThis log place.

The problem with that simplification is that it isn't very thorough.

--
Mike Easter
From: Dante Alighieri on
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:09:20 -0400, slate_leeper
<bycy-r0bj(a)spamex.com> wrote:

>This morning when I first started Firefox, my proxy server told me I
>was receiving several files, including an html page and a few image
>files. I had just started Firefox, and had not entered any URL or
>clicked any bookmark or link. Firefox did not display the page or any
>images. The REALLY strange part - the proxy says that the IP address
>the files are coming from is my own IP address. This has happened each
>time I restarted Firefox.
>
>? What the hey?
>

>-danz-

Check to see what NoScript is allowing to pass.
You might find something in the whitelist that looks wrong.
If you Yooha!, don't click anywhere on the log in page. There may be
clear clicks although NoScript should pick them up.

I was using XP then Vista 32 and Win7x64.
All M$ Malicious Software tool did for me was prevent my Vista HD from
booting. Apparently with my Win7 HD it picked up Micro$oft Windoze
Vista as malicious software. I think they are right, but some of my
software is not Win7x64 compatible. Most x86 programs are and when
installed, the installer puts them into a "Program Files (x86)"
folder. I solved that problem by restoring the system to a restore
point I created before running that tool.

Some glitch in SBS&D allowed some supposedly blocked items to run or
not be found. This is supposed to have been corrected but go to
"settings", "ignore products", right click, select "deselect all",
then set SBS&D to run at System Startup, reboot and see what happens.

Make sure your Firefox, Noscript, SBS&D, etc. are up to date.
FireFox 3.6.8 is, I think, still the latest version.
I'm using 4.0b2 and have had no issues with it.
I have found no issues with NoScript and FireFox 4 although my
NoScript tells me it is not compatible with FireFox 4, maybe because 4
is still beta.

Follow slate_leeper's suggestions.

Dante