From: Metspitzer on
At least 90 percent of the power outages we experience at my house are
3 seconds long. After just a flash of power outage I have to
reprogram my time/date info in my answering machine, microwave and my
coffee pot.

I was wondering just what kind of rechargeable battery you would need
to just be able to keep the power up for 10 seconds?

I was also wondering what it would take to build that into computers.
You wouldn't need to supply the monitor or speakers or printer. All
that would be needed would to be keep the mobo and the hard drives
going for 10 seconds.
From: Charlie Hoffpauir on
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 20:17:53 -0400, Metspitzer <kilowatt(a)charter.net>
wrote:

>At least 90 percent of the power outages we experience at my house are
>3 seconds long. After just a flash of power outage I have to
>reprogram my time/date info in my answering machine, microwave and my
>coffee pot.
>
>I was wondering just what kind of rechargeable battery you would need
>to just be able to keep the power up for 10 seconds?
>
>I was also wondering what it would take to build that into computers.
>You wouldn't need to supply the monitor or speakers or printer. All
>that would be needed would to be keep the mobo and the hard drives
>going for 10 seconds.

Well, the coffee pot & MW ruin the deal. But for the low wattage
"other" item you mentioned, just plug the answering machine into the
UPS that you use for your computer. (With frequent power outages of 3
seconds you DO have a UPS, don't you?)

"Any" UPS whould have to be very stout to handle the MW or coffee pot.
Remember, you "could" have those 3 second loses while the coffee was
brewing, or while the MW was on. Now, if the manufacturer of those
devices wanted to, they could easily build several minutes of "backup"
into the timers, for very little cost. Some of my appliances have such
a capability... but I think it's just a capacitor, not a battery.
--
Charlie Hoffpauir

Everything is what it is because it got that way....D'Arcy Thompson
From: Mike Easter on
Metspitzer wrote:
> At least 90 percent of the power outages we experience at my house are
> 3 seconds long.

It sounds like your power company needs to install a BOB - big ol' battery.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-04/texas-town-turns-monster-battery-backup-power
Texas Town Installs a Monster Battery for Backup Power - The sodium
sulfur battery is the largest of its type

--
Mike Easter
From: Mark Lloyd on
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 19:35:26 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
<invalid(a)invalid.com> wrote:

>[snip]

>"Any" UPS whould have to be very stout to handle the MW or coffee pot.
>Remember, you "could" have those 3 second loses while the coffee was
>brewing, or while the MW was on. Now, if the manufacturer of those
>devices wanted to, they could easily build several minutes of "backup"
>into the timers, for very little cost.

Or some sort of "on backup" signal to turn off the high power
components (such as heating elements).

> Some of my appliances have such
>a capability... but I think it's just a capacitor, not a battery.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Science may have come a long way, but as far as religion is concerned,
we are first cousins to the !Kung tribesmen of the Kalahari Desert." --
Phil Donahue
From: Metspitzer on
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 17:02:41 -0500, Mark Lloyd
<mlloyd(a)notroachstupid.usant.invalid> wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 19:35:26 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
><invalid(a)invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>[snip]
>
>>"Any" UPS whould have to be very stout to handle the MW or coffee pot.
>>Remember, you "could" have those 3 second loses while the coffee was
>>brewing, or while the MW was on. Now, if the manufacturer of those
>>devices wanted to, they could easily build several minutes of "backup"
>>into the timers, for very little cost.
>
>Or some sort of "on backup" signal to turn off the high power
>components (such as heating elements).
>
>> Some of my appliances have such
>>a capability... but I think it's just a capacitor, not a battery.

My idea was to just have backup for the time/date. Nothing for
keeping coffee hot or food cooking. 10 seconds doesn't seem like much
backup, but it would solve 90 percent of the reprogramming I have to
do on the clocks. My answering machine is the most annoying. I can
live without the proper time on my microwave and coffee machine, but
it would be nice to have a working clock on those things too.

I am sure it would take more to keep a computer going for 10 seconds,
but it seems like a useful thing to have.

BTW I do have UPS for my main computer, router and modem, but it is no
where near my answering machine.