From: Ernst Guckel on
Hello,

I'm pretty sure we are approaching this correctly but not sure how to do
this: We have a purchase order database where we enter all our inventory
purchases. The problem is that each line item in a purchase order is a
generic inventory item. I want to take these generic items and "Recieve into
Inventory" so that they become owned assets. A simple insert into query
should do the trick but there is one problem that I cannot work out...

If the purchase order says we bought 20 laptops then the insert query needs
to insert 20 new assets into the tblAssets.

EX:

PO 1001
1 Monitors
3 Keyboards
22 Laptops

The query needs to create 26 new records... Any help would be great...

Thanks,
Ernst.

From: KARL DEWEY on
You will need to do one line item at a time. Use a Cartesian effect append
query.
Creacte a table named CountNumber with number field name CountNUM containing
0 (zero) through your maximum.
Create the append query, add the CountNumber table, drag the CountNUM field
to the FIELD row, add criteria --
Between 1 AND [Forms]![YourFormName]![UnitsReceived]

Include the other necessary information for the individual item. Some
information will need to be added later such as bar code identification and
serial numbers.

--
Build a little, test a little.

From: Ernst Guckel on
This is wonderful. I understand that this will process only one line at a
time but is there a way to get it to do all lines? or do i need to look
through each line and do the same?

Ernst.

From: KARL DEWEY on
You will not know how many lines when you build the form.

An alternate method would be to use a table to load line items that would be
deleted following the run. These would be entered in the subform datasheet
view.

--
Build a little, test a little.