From: Andi on
I keep getting the following two errors in my Exchange server application log:
2027 - Unable to generate the e-mail address. Unable to load address module
'C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\address\GWISE\i386\gwproxy.dll' for address type
'GWISE'. Error 0xc007007e.

8231 - Permanent failure reported by policy group provider for 'CN=Recipient
Policies,CN=Health Care Excel,CN=Microsoft
Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=hce,DC=org':'MAD.EXE',
error=8000ffff. Taking provider offline.

We currently have an Exchange 2000 server, and a new Exchange 2003 cluster.
The 2000 server has the Connector for Groupwise installed (but it has been
disabled). I have followed the instructions in MSKB#286356 and removed the
GWISE address from the recipient policies on ALL of the exchange servers
(using ADSIEDIT.MSC), but these two errors keep coming back. It is causing
problems when creating new users, as their AD accounts are created, but
because RUS can't stamp their mailbox, it never gets created.

The two GWISE entries in the gatewayProxy attribute of the repient policies
keeps coming back, and I can't figure out where it's coming from. Do I need
to do the ADSIEDIT on all of the exchange servers, AND my two domain
controllers?

thanks for any advice.
From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
"Andi" <Andi(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I keep getting the following two errors in my Exchange server application log:
>2027 - Unable to generate the e-mail address. Unable to load address module
>'C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\address\GWISE\i386\gwproxy.dll' for address type
>'GWISE'. Error 0xc007007e.
>
>8231 - Permanent failure reported by policy group provider for 'CN=Recipient
>Policies,CN=Health Care Excel,CN=Microsoft
>Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=hce,DC=org':'MAD.EXE',
>error=8000ffff. Taking provider offline.
>
>We currently have an Exchange 2000 server, and a new Exchange 2003 cluster.
>The 2000 server has the Connector for Groupwise installed (but it has been
>disabled). I have followed the instructions in MSKB#286356 and removed the
>GWISE address from the recipient policies on ALL of the exchange servers
>(using ADSIEDIT.MSC), but these two errors keep coming back.

You said that the gwise connector is disabled, but the error is not
referring to the connector but to the address generator. The problem
is that the gwproxy.dll is missing. Where did it go?

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: "Andi C." <Andi on
Rich,

thanks for the reply. This DLL file is present on our EXCH2000 server, the
errors are not occurring on that server. The errors are only occuring on the
new EXCH2003 cluster. We have migrated away from GroupWise completely, so we
did not need to install the GWISE address DLL on the new server(s).
Therefore, it IS missing. Both the 2000 and 2003 EXCH servers are up and
running in the same domain. The problem is that the 'new' server keeps
trying to generate the GWISE address, even though I have unchecked that
address in the Recipient Policies, and used the ADSIedit to remove that
attribute from the policy completely (I have done this on all three of my
exchange servers). It keeps coming back, but I don't know from where.
From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
"Andi C." <Andi C.(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Rich,
>
>thanks for the reply. This DLL file is present on our EXCH2000 server, the
>errors are not occurring on that server. The errors are only occuring on the
>new EXCH2003 cluster. We have migrated away from GroupWise completely, so we
>did not need to install the GWISE address DLL on the new server(s).
>Therefore, it IS missing. Both the 2000 and 2003 EXCH servers are up and
>running in the same domain. The problem is that the 'new' server keeps
>trying to generate the GWISE address, even though I have unchecked that
>address in the Recipient Policies, and used the ADSIedit to remove that
>attribute from the policy completely (I have done this on all three of my
>exchange servers). It keeps coming back, but I don't know from where.

Have you read through this KB article? You say you've used ADSIEDIT
but you don't say what you did to make it disappear. :)

Exchange Recipient Update Service does not stamp proxy addresses in
Exchange 2000 Server and in Exchange Server 2003 [286356]

The Exchange servers aren't what need modification, it's the AD and
the information in the Configuration container (as you probably
already know if you've used ADSIEDIT). But what needs modification is
the RUS, not the Recipient Policy.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP