From: Charles Hottel on
I am a experienced mainframe computer programmer but I have no experience
with Access or VBA. I need to learn Access 2003 and VBA for a project
that I am taking over from a contractor who was fired. I am familiar with
relational database concepts and SQL, but again I have very little actual
experience using them. I believe the databases involved are already set up
and the data dictionary part of the application is already working. I
know some java so object oriented programming, concepts, and design patterns
are not new to me. I am told that the actual VBA code involves more than
just basic VBA as it involves extracting and displaying business rules from
COBOL programs. There is also a possiblity that part of the application has
been deliberately sabotaged, but I am not certain about that..

Can anyone recommend any good books or web sites for learning Access 2003
and VBA? Also what do you think would be a reasonable amount of time for
getting up to speed with them? Thanks in advance for your help..

From: John W. Vinson on
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 10:50:53 -0400, "Charles Hottel" <chottel(a)earthlink.net>
wrote:

>I am a experienced mainframe computer programmer but I have no experience
>with Access or VBA. I need to learn Access 2003 and VBA for a project
>that I am taking over from a contractor who was fired. I am familiar with
>relational database concepts and SQL, but again I have very little actual
>experience using them. I believe the databases involved are already set up
>and the data dictionary part of the application is already working. I
>know some java so object oriented programming, concepts, and design patterns
>are not new to me. I am told that the actual VBA code involves more than
>just basic VBA as it involves extracting and displaying business rules from
>COBOL programs. There is also a possiblity that part of the application has
>been deliberately sabotaged, but I am not certain about that..
>
>Can anyone recommend any good books or web sites for learning Access 2003
>and VBA? Also what do you think would be a reasonable amount of time for
>getting up to speed with them? Thanks in advance for your help..

Here's my generic resources list; the mvps.org site has lots of links to books
and other good stuff:

Jeff Conrad's resources page:
http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html

The Access Web resources page:
http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/index.html

Roger Carlson's tutorials, samples and tips:
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/

A free tutorial written by Crystal:
http://allenbrowne.com/casu-22.html

A video how-to series by Crystal: