From: Antoine Pitrou on

Hello,

> I've looked at the web servers that come bundled with the Python
> standard library[1] and they are too slow.

Apparently you have debugged your speed issue so I suppose you don't have
performance problems anymore. Do note, however, that Python is generally
not as fast as C -- especially for low-level stuff -- and a Python Web
server will probably serve around 10x less requests per second than a C
Web server like Apache (this will still give you hundreds of simple
requests per second on a modern machine).

In any case, as far as functionality, robustness, portability and
community support are concerned, you probably can't go wrong with Twisted.

Regards

Antoine.

From: Irmen de Jong on
On 11-12-2009 14:52, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

> Hello,
>
>> I've looked at the web servers that come bundled with the Python
>> standard library[1] and they are too slow.
>
> Apparently you have debugged your speed issue so I suppose you don't have
> performance problems anymore. Do note, however, that Python is generally
> not as fast as C -- especially for low-level stuff -- and a Python Web
> server will probably serve around 10x less requests per second than a C
> Web server like Apache (this will still give you hundreds of simple
> requests per second on a modern machine).

I don't think that number is fair for Python. I think a well written
Python web server can perform in the same ballpark as most mainstream
web servers written in C. Especially Apache, which really isn't a top
performer. And I'm pretty sure a well written Python server can
outperform a badly written C based server easily.

-irmen
From: Antoine Pitrou on
Le Fri, 11 Dec 2009 19:40:21 +0100, Irmen de Jong a écrit :

> I don't think that number is fair for Python. I think a well written
> Python web server can perform in the same ballpark as most mainstream
> web servers written in C. Especially Apache, which really isn't a top
> performer. And I'm pretty sure a well written Python server can
> outperform a badly written C based server easily.

The order of magnitude I gave is based on real-world testing. You are
under-estimating how much of an impact Python's interpretation speed has
on low-level code. Even Apache *is* a top performer compared to Python
web servers.

From: Aahz on
In article <mailman.1720.1260539582.2873.python-list(a)python.org>,
Antoine Pitrou <solipsis(a)pitrou.net> wrote:

>Apparently you have debugged your speed issue so I suppose you don't have
>performance problems anymore. Do note, however, that Python is generally
>not as fast as C -- especially for low-level stuff -- and a Python Web
>server will probably serve around 10x less requests per second than a C
>Web server like Apache (this will still give you hundreds of simple
>requests per second on a modern machine).

For static pages or dynamic pages? Once you get into dynamic pages, I
sincerely doubt that the smaller Apache overhead makes lots of
difference.
--
Aahz (aahz(a)pythoncraft.com) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

Looking back over the years, after I learned Python I realized that I
never really had enjoyed programming before.
From: mdipierro on
This is a new wsgi web server implemented in a single file.

http://code.google.com/p/web2py/source/browse/gluon/sneaky.py

I could use some help with testing.

Here is a version for Python 3.0

http://code.google.com/p/web2py/source/browse/gluon/sneaky.py