From: jellybean stonerfish on
On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 13:01:12 -0500, RodMcKay wrote:

> The only problem I have so far re the Linux interface is something I'm
> very picky about, I'm afraid, the file browser/manager, which in Window$
> is called Window$ Explorer (WE). I don't actually know how that's
> referred to in Linux but I really need to find one to use over the one
> native in Linux since I don't like Linux's look and feel much. It's
> clunky for me.

Linux is just the kernel. The file manager you are using is dependent on
which desktop environment you are using. If you give more information
about what you have installed, you may get a more helpful answer.

If you are looking for a file manager with the exact same layout, and buttons
you have in your ms-explorer, you probably won't find it. From what I have
seen of the windows file manager, I don't know why you would.

From: philo on
RodMcKay wrote:
> The only problem I have so far re the Linux interface is something I'm
> very picky about, I'm afraid, the file browser/manager, which in
> Window$ is called Window$ Explorer (WE). I don't actually know how
> that's referred to in Linux but I really need to find one to use over
> the one native in Linux since I don't like Linux's look and feel much.
> It's clunky for me.
>
> What I've found is that the context open command on a folder is
> different from the browse one. I'd like to not have to actually
> choose browse, since the open does little for me so hopefully the app
> will understand folder "open" and "browse" as same thing and will give
> me full functionality right from the get-go.
>
> Also, the "save to" in many apps seems to lack the ability to allow me
> to rename and move files, etc., when I find something amiss when I go
> to save something, so I'd need full functionality of the "WE" Linux
> app, too.
>
> I also really don't like the boxes in the file name. The file manager
> allows for converting boxes to an address bar but many ways to access
> it don't (i.e., in GIMP). I'm NOT an M$ fan and I'm certainly trying
> to get away from anything M$ but I would really like to emulate WE's
> address bar and other features since that really does work for me. In
> all likelihood, getting something that is customizable would be ideal.
>
> Also, the file manager/browser in Linux has a variable width column
> that expands and contracts according to the longest filename. That is
> driving me batty, even though it's preferable to stupid WinXP one that
> keeps forgetting the settings and you keep having to shove the columns
> wider (despite _all_ the suggestions experts at the M$ ngs have given
> out over last 2 years!). So one that can have fixed column widths in
> details mode would also be ideal.
>
> Full line highlighting is also super necessary.
>
> So if anyone can recommend a decent file manager/browser, I'd really
> appreciate it! thx
>

> So app needed should:
>
> 1. allow files to be moved/renamed when accessed via "save to".
> 2. customizable columns widths that can be set by user permanently
> 3. full line highlighting in details mode
> 4. fully customizable toolbar hopefully giving all apps an interface
> that has address bar, etc.
> 5. hopefully an app also that allows for backups, for this Window$
> person who'll really believe will have a system that runs for years
> without reinstalling when she actually lives the experience <vbg>.
> Looking forward to that but going to stay paranoid for the time being
> till Linux soothes that out of me! <g>

I was not crazy about the options in Nautilus
so I added PyExtensions

Also I've added XFE as an alternative
From: Whiskers on
On 2010-01-03, RodMcKay <NoJunkMail(a)No.com> wrote:
> The only problem I have so far re the Linux interface is something I'm
> very picky about, I'm afraid, the file browser/manager, which in
> Window$ is called Window$ Explorer (WE). I don't actually know how
> that's referred to in Linux but I really need to find one to use over
> the one native in Linux since I don't like Linux's look and feel much.
> It's clunky for me.

[...]

Linux has no "native" or "default" file manager. The tools and
applications you get depend on the distro you install.

The file manager I like is "Midnight Commander" (run the command mc in a
console). It's a console program, ie text-only interface, and is probably
available in the repositories for every distro even if not installed by
default.

There are more file managers than you can shake a stick at.

I've never encountered any of the file management difficulties you seem to
describe.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
From: TJ on
RodMcKay wrote:
> The only problem I have so far re the Linux interface is something I'm
> very picky about, I'm afraid, the file browser/manager, which in
> Window$ is called Window$ Explorer (WE). I don't actually know how
> that's referred to in Linux but I really need to find one to use over
> the one native in Linux since I don't like Linux's look and feel much.
> It's clunky for me.

I live in a small, rural town in Central NY, one that's existed since
shortly after the American Revolution. Our town has a quaint, quiet,
simple character that most of us would like to keep, and many of those
who live in other places seem to envy. Every once in a while, more often
in the past decade or so, new people move in to town, fleeing the
problems they experienced in a more urban environment. The only trouble
we have with them is that shortly after moving in, before they have a
chance to fully embrace what we have to offer, they start trying to
change things. They think they can pick and choose the things they liked
about their old area and bring them to us, leaving the things they
*don't* like behind. They never understand why they meet with resistance
from longtime residents, because what they don't see is that the things
they don't like are as systemic as the things they do, and you just
can't have one without the other.

You remind me of those newcomers. You think that you can pick and choose
what you like about Windows and apply it to Linux. It doesn't work that
way. The more Windows-like you make things, the more the problems of
Windows will creep in.

But I've seen your sort before, not just when it comes to the
Windows/Linux debates. You think that you are different, that you won't
make the same mistakes other, less able converts make. You think that
you can succeed using your methods where others have failed. You are
wrong, but my saying that won't stop you, or put you on an easier path.

It's a pity, really.

<snip>

> So if anyone can recommend a decent file manager/browser, I'd really
> appreciate it! thx
>

> So app needed should:
>
> 1. allow files to be moved/renamed when accessed via "save to".
> 2. customizable columns widths that can be set by user permanently
> 3. full line highlighting in details mode
> 4. fully customizable toolbar hopefully giving all apps an interface
> that has address bar, etc.
> 5. hopefully an app also that allows for backups, for this Window$
> person who'll really believe will have a system that runs for years
> without reinstalling when she actually lives the experience <vbg>.
> Looking forward to that but going to stay paranoid for the time being
> till Linux soothes that out of me! <g>

IRCC, you are working from a live CD - what was it.... Ubuntu? If so,
you are probably working with Gnome, the default Desktop Environment
(DTE) of the distro. I think you'd be much happier with KDE, as it is
much more Windows-like. If I were you, I'd take a look at Kubuntu. It is
Ubuntu with a default KDE DTE.

Actually, if you finally decide to take the plunge and install
something, it's quite possible to have Gnome, KDE, and a number of other
GDEs installed all at the same time. Then, after trying each, you can
choose to use the one you like best, while having the others in reserve
in case you change your mind. But you almost have to install a distro
before you can do this. As I've said before, one of the problems with
working from a live CD is that you are pretty much limited to what can
fit on the CD.

TJ
From: J G Miller on
On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 11:10:18 -0500, TJ wrote:

> They think they can pick and choose the things they liked
> about their old area and bring them to us

Things like electricity, water purification and sewage systems,
refrigerators, telephones etc?