From: Lisa M. Fida on
MSAccess 2003 and SQLExpress 2005 in multiple user setting

I have a front end Access database that needs to retrieve data from a back
end Access database and from a SQL database. The front end has the forms and
VBA code, the back end just has tables and queries. So far I'm only
retrieving data from the Access back end at this time. I have code in the
ParentForm_Load event that pulls data from two related tables (Invoices and
Invoice Details) out of the back end and populates a DAO recordset. The
question: how can I populate (or bind) the Parent form with the Invoices data
and the subform with the related Invoice Details data (and be able to modify,
delete, insert, etc.)?

I'm using recordsets because of the multiple user setting. Is there a
better way to achieve the goal without sacrificing performance? I originally
had all the pertinent tables linked but noticed that the application slowed
greatly when there is more than one person using it.

Thanks in advance,

--
Lisa M. Fida
From: ruralguy via AccessMonster.com on
Your queries should also be in the FrontEnd. Do you have a persistant
connection to the BackEnd?
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/performancefaq.htm

--
RuralGuy (RG for short) aka Allan Bunch MS Access MVP - acXP WinXP Pro
Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

From: Lisa M. Fida on
Why do the queries need to be in the front end? I'm getting data in both
datasets (the one for the main form and the one for the subform). I just
can't seem to get them to link together. I have the code set the
LinkMasterField and LinkChildField values. When the code gets to the second
one I get an error saying Access can't find the query. Since the datasets
are filled why is it trying to find the query again?
--
Lisa M. Fida

From: ruralguy via AccessMonster.com on
http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/articles/multiuser.htm

From: Lisa M. Fida on
Thank you for the link. I will thoroughly read through this. I think I may
have been going at this the wrong way.

Thanks again!
--
Lisa M. Fida

"ruralguy via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/articles/multiuser.htm
>

> Lisa M. Fida wrote:
> >Why do the queries need to be in the front end? I'm getting data in both
> >datasets (the one for the main form and the one for the subform). I just
> >can't seem to get them to link together. I have the code set the
> >LinkMasterField and LinkChildField values. When the code gets to the second
> >one I get an error saying Access can't find the query. Since the datasets
> >are filled why is it trying to find the query again?
> >> Your queries should also be in the FrontEnd. Do you have a persistant
> >> connection to the BackEnd?
> >[quoted text clipped - 18 lines]

> --
> RuralGuy (RG for short) aka Allan Bunch MS Access MVP - acXP WinXP Pro
> Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

> .
>
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: DoCmd Apply Filter