From: Ken on
On 7/5/2010 10:23 PM, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Ken wrote:
>> When I run Windows Search, it will almost always terminate with a
>> Runtime Error! Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
>>
>> Program: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
>>
>> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual
>> way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.
>>

>> When I close that box, my desktop goes away (icons, task bar), although
>> I can continue with whatever windows are open until I am finished, then
>> I need to reboot.
>>
>> Does anyone know what may be causing this error?
>
> Is WinXP P3 installed?
Ages ago. I have always kept updates up-to-date

> Is Windows (Desktop) Search installed?

No.

> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?

Zone alarm (without anti-virus component running) and NOD32. Same
installation as on 3 other home systems,which do not share the problem.
All are up to date. No anti-spyware apps running. Indexer not running.

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> bought it)?
Heavens no!

From: Ken on
On 7/6/2010 12:41 AM, Randem wrote:
> Make sure your C++ runtime files have been updated to the latest SP.

Happy to do so. I did not know that the files needed to be updated
separately from the Windows updates.

I found this:
evc4sp4.exe

on this page:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?FamilyID=4a4ed1f4-91d3-4dbe-986e-a812984318e5&displaylang=en
From: Ken on
PA Bear [MS MVP] said the following on 7/5/2010 10:23 PM:

> Is WinXP P3 installed?

I should also add WRT to the updates that my install of XP is on a
machine that I built a year ago, and this has been the only quirk that I
have encountered during that time. It is not the worst thing in the
world, but it can be a nuisance from time to time...
From: Ken on
Randem said the following on 7/6/2010 12:41 AM:
> Make sure your C++ runtime files have been updated to the latest SP.

I downloaded the files for embedded C++ and rean the install, but it
asked for a license number, so I know I don't have that program. If C++
is a part of WinXP, then I must have those files, as I have the Pro
version with all of the updates.
From: Ken on
On 7/6/2010 9:26 AM, John John - MVP wrote:
> Ken wrote:
>> Randem said the following on 7/6/2010 12:41 AM:
>>> Make sure your C++ runtime files have been updated to the latest SP.
>>>
>> I downloaded the files for embedded C++ and rean the install, but it
>> asked for a license number, so I know I don't have that program. If
>> C++ is a part of WinXP, then I must have those files, as I have the
>> Pro version with all of the updates.
>
> Try here:
>
> Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84
>

> John
Thanks, John. I downloaded and installed the program, rebooted, and ran
search. I was encouraged, and ran a long search. After about a minute,
the same error message occurred. I was deflated, needless to say...